Best lid for iron skillet

Robert Day

I recently purchased a Girswold #6, 9inch skillet and was wondering which type lid would be best from those who have had experience with this situation.
I'm guessing like a Corningware Pyrex glass would be good but that's only a guess on my part.

Attachments

• Skillet downsized.jpg
    Skillet downsized.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 9
An actual Griswold lid made for this pan will be hard to find and expensive if you do. You may get lucky and a modern Lodge lid will fit. They currently make a 9" iron skillet lid, but no tempered glass in that size. No guarantee it will fit properly, though, as sizes were not standardized. When Wagner switched to Pyrex glass lids in the 1950s, they offered the C-6 for their #6 skillet, again no guarantee it will adequately fit a Griswold skillet. An iron skillet lid that fits will also cover the pour lips; no glass cover will.

I go to GoodWill for lids if I need them.Usually glass, but a metal one once in awhile. And cheap, if all you need is for cooking.

I have a few matched, as well as unmatched, iron lids, and an assortment of various glass lids that I use with great results.
As long as you are just using, the lid only has one purpose, and the material isn't really a big factor.

An actual Griswold lid made for this pan will be hard to find and expensive if you do. You may get lucky and a modern Lodge lid will fit. They currently make a 9" iron skillet lid, but no tempered glass in that size. No guarantee it will fit properly, though, as sizes were not standardized. When Wagner switched to Pyrex glass lids in the 1950s, they offered the C-6 for their #6 skillet, again no guarantee it will adequately fit a Griswold skillet. An iron skillet lid that fits will also cover the pour lips; no glass cover will.
Doug,
Thank you very much for your expertise, it is valuable information. I remember seeing some skillet lids at the antique store where I bought the #6 Griswold. I'll go back and take a look. Thanks again for the information, history and quick answers.

I went to the antique store where I bought the #6 Griswold skillet hoping I might find a lid but no luck. Does anyone know the exact size of modern day glass lid would fit a #6 Griswold skillet properly?

Back