Axford Broiler

Loretta Jones

Re: Some times you just step in it

Newbie here, can anyone tell me about this Axford broiler? Like how old is it? Common or rare? Felt good about what I paid until the cleaning revealed a small chip in one of the spouts.

Image Image

There are a handful of marking variations of the Axford Broiler. The earlier ones appear to have been made at Mission Foundry in San Francisco, where the designer/inventor Allan C. Axford was a partner. Later versions were made by Lodge, using at least in some cases modified Lodge patterns, as evidenced by Lodge ghost marks on them. Contracting out to Lodge was thought to be a means of reducing distribution costs to the Eastern US. Even later ones (late 1930s?) are marked as yours is, with the Broil Rite inscription, and with the addition of the assist handle.

Here is one that I picked up for $22, after some haggling, in a thrift shop in San Francisco. I have been looking for a broiler to cook salmon steaks in, so if nothing else the price is competitive with a new one! (The ridges are noticeably higher than a new Lodge broiler.)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There is no "Lodge" ghost mark evident after an oven cleaner treatment, but the heat ring does have a single notch in it. No assist tab, and a raised "PAT PEND" on the handle. Would this, and the location I found it, indicate that it is an earlier variation? It should be a good user at any rate!

If you look closely, there is something odd about the skillet...

Looks like they both have BSR-type handles

Very similar! On mine, the ridge is more rounded than on a couple BSRs I have but otherwise quite similar.

So, the odd thing about this particular pan is that both the heat ring notch and the broiler ridges are slightly rotated from 12 o clock (if the handle is 6:00.). The Axford imprint and the pour spouts themselves are orthogonal to the handle...

Back