Average Range of Prices

JBPoole

What do you guys consider the average "good deal" price for the more common skillets in as-found condition?

Luckily, I have picked quite a number of pieces for just a few dollars each. So far the most I have spent is $15 for a Wagner #8 chicken fryer with no lid.

I realize the average for Griswold and Wagner will likely be more than that of Lodge and BSR. I just need an approximate range for on the spot decisions. I'm not looking to pay "full price."

Thanks in advance...

Cost depends largely on what the piece is, its condition, and whether or not the seller knows what they have. I've seen both extremes ... one seller thinks because it's old and grungy, it must be worth lots of money and wants $150 for something worth $15 at best. Another seller has a real treasure and thinks it's just a piece of scrap iron and wants $5 when it's probably worth 5 or 10 times that.

My personal "average" that I've paid for pieces is probably somewhere between $10 and $20 ... with my most expensive piece being $60 and my cheapest being $1. I've paid close to fair price for a number of items and several pieces have been real steals. Only twice have I paid significantly more than an item was worth. Once because I thought the item was something it was not, and once because, after cleaning, I discovered a crack that could not be seen prior.

Basically, if I'm happy with a purchase, I consider that I got it for a good price. If I'm overjoyed, I got it for a GREAT price. If I got taken to the cleaners, it was my own fault. :icon_thumbsup:

Cost depends largely on what the piece is, its condition, and whether or not the seller knows what they have.

My personal "average" that I've paid for pieces is probably somewhere between $10 and $20 ... with my most expensive piece being $60 and my cheapest being $1.

Oh, I wish it was that easy... I live in Southern California where every antique store thinks everything is valued the same as gold. By the oz. I've only found a few reasonable pieces at local thrift stores and flea markets.. People seem very knowledgeable here and price accordingly.

I've done ok picking up things on eBay, but I have to not let my wallet go to my head. I see something rare that I could afford, and I really want, but have to tell myself that it's WAY too much money. Patience! One will come around that's in better shape, and cheaper..

Yesterday I almost bought a Wagner Skillet Oven.. It wasn't cheap... I passed because I could have bought 4 other great pieces for the same price.

It's all about what you want for your collection, how comfortable you feel spending, and how patient you are. Eventually whatever you're looking for will come to you at a price that is reasonable. Whether it's at a yard sale, flea market, or your neighbor cleaning out their garage, you'll find your holy grail piece sooner, or later.

Back