Another Lodge Chicken Fryer

RJ Ruchti

Saw this in an antique shop a couple time prior to today. Stopped in today and the skillet was still there. I looked it over, moseyed through the store stopped at the checkout where the owner was standing. Asked if he had any wiggle room on the Chicken Fryer. He looked at it as was priced at $58.50, said $50. I said $40, he said $48.50. I said $40. He said $45 I said $40. He said I can live with that, and I handed him 2 20's. It is a Lodge #8 with the oval blob with 3 printed on it. Pan needed cleaning but not overly dirty. May have been painted at one time. Little crud around the 3-notch ring which came off after a couple hours in the lye bath. Scrubbed with SS brush and put it in the electroless tank. Will see what it looks like in the morning but will more than likely will take several more hours. Pictures when it gets cleaned up. Forgot before it went in the lye bath.

I have a soft spot for chicken fryers. I cook a lot in my #8 Wapak. Hope you got nice pan, post some pics if you can.

I was right. It had been painted with black paint. 90% came off in the electro tank. Ring around the bottom next to the side was stubborn and took some paint striper to get it off. Back in the electro tank now for final cleaning. Should be ready for seasoning this afternoon and will grab a couple photos of it then. I always forget the before photos. Have another totally unmarked skillet in the electro tank also for the second time around. It had a lot of crud on it but no paint.

I was right. It had been painted with black paint. 90% came off in the electro tank. Ring around the bottom next to the side was stubborn and took some paint striper to get it off. Back in the electro tank now for final cleaning. Should be ready for seasoning this afternoon and will grab a couple photos of it then. I always forget the before photos. Have another totally unmarked skillet in the electro tank also for the second time around. It had a lot of crud on it but no paint.
Me too.

The painted-up Lodge chicken fryer cleaned up real nice. #3 in the glob is really visible. Don't think it has seen much use. Going to have to go to my better camera to get better pictures. Always get glare with the pocket cams. Pics always come out much to large with the stupid phone and have to reduce them twice.

SAM_1989.JPG SAM_1987.JPG SAM_1986.JPG

Dug out a couple extra lids I had and one just happened to be a Wagner. Fit the chicken fryer perfectly. Got double lucky with that one.

Looks good. I have a soft spot for chicken fryers, I'm afraid to count them. When I find one with the lid I just can't pass it up if the price is decent. I keep them scattered around so Wife is less likely to realize how many we have. They sure are handy.

Took a chance on this one years ago. Came out pretty well.
ejEpXla.jpg
YyhZw7E.jpg

Back