3 in the tub..

Seth B.

I have a friend who collects cast, he swears by a 2 week Sodium Hydroxide soak. I was given a Lodge Dutch Oven, had been cleaned and reseasoned. I tried to use it one time and had to throw the food away, it smelled and tasted like it had been cooked in the plastic wrapper. The oven got put out in the woodshed for a few months as of today it stinks up the room just sitting there.
I also had what i believe to be a no 8 Wagner I picked up to clean. I put the oven, lid, and pan in a trash can with 3 gallons of sodium Hydroxide solution, will get pictures in 2 weeks when they come out.
I also have a crispbee puck for seasoning, any thoughts on that? Never used one.

A manually-applied seasoning not completely polymerized and left unused can go rancid, just like the oil used to apply it can.

At the proper strength, it may take less than two weeks. Some heavily carbonized spots may resist altogether.

People who use them seem to like the beeswax products. My view is I don't cook with beeswax, so why would I season my pans with it?

If you never have tried comb honey I recommend it highly, spread it on toast or am English muffin and enjoy, I would certainly eat it, so i am willing to give it a shot on the pan.
Ive never experienced anything quite as nasty as whatever was in that Dutch oven. He got it at a moving sale, then cleaned it up ans seasoned it and gave it to me. Can’t remember what he said he used on it, but it wasn’t really alarming. Canola or something like that.

Back