11¼" Lodge Griddle Want to Stick in Spots

RJ Ruchti

Second time around with the lye bath, good scrubbing with brass brush and dawn. Then about 10 hours in the electrolysis. When it cam out went directly into hot soapy water with dawn, scrubbed to bare iron with steel wool. Towel dried then in the over for 15 min at 225°. Seasoned with Crisco, wiped twice with old T-shirt then in the oven for 1 hour at 365°. Left in the oven overnight to cool down. Did another seasoning the next day, same process. I pre-heat it in the oven at 225° for 15 min before using on a gas stove. Burner is turned down a small flame. Add Crisco oil and put in the bacon moving it around to maker sure the oil is spread and is under the bacon. Half way through the cooking of the bacon there are three small areas near the center that want to start sticking and gumming up. Did get the eggs fried without tearing them completely up. After it cools down I ad a bit of water and use a plastic scraper which loosens all the sticky stuff with no problem. Wipes clean with paper towel and oiled for next time.

I thought I had done everything right (sorry for the long winded explanation) but this griddle still want to stick in those three little areas. Am I missing something, doing something wrong, or not doing something I should be? Will this take care of itself with uses? New to the cast iron cook ware field and appreciate all the help I can get.

Griddle.jpg griddleII.jpg

First thing is ditch the BRASS wire brush when cleaning cast iron. The reason is the brass transfers onto the cast iron and gives an off color, to the point that you can see the brass scratches sometimes.

I am not going to say that you are doing anything wrong, but I will say this. For a piece of cast iron to be non stick after only 2 - 4 coats is really not seasoning, more a pre seasoning. A good seasoning is built up over time and with different types of fats / oils. I am not saying that you can not cook an egg after only 2 coats and have it not stick, it's just eggs are easy just watch your heat, and that goes with everything. The bacon that you are cooking does it have any sugar on it? Get some real bacon at the meat market and you will enjoy the cooking and also the flavor, then keep the grease, good stuff.

Enjoy

The bacon package does not mention any sugar content. It is Hormel brand low sodium that I am using now. Fareway store meat wich is some of the best around. Don't have regular meat markets, just meat processing where they process anyones animal brought in. Very little for resale they have bought "on the hoof" from someone that has meat to spare. Have used other brands with the same results. Will keep using it without the bacon and see what happens. Thanks for the advise and information. Sure helps in the learning process.

Lat two mornings I cooked the bacon in the microwave and the eggs in skillet. Second morning there was no egg sticking anywhere. We live an learn and that is why I am here. Thanks much guys.

Second time around with the lye bath, good scrubbing with brass brush and dawn. Then about 10 hours in the electrolysis. When it cam out went directly into hot soapy water with dawn, scrubbed to bare iron with steel wool. Towel dried then in the over for 15 min at 225°. Seasoned with Crisco, wiped twice with old T-shirt then in the oven for 1 hour at 365°. Left in the oven overnight to cool down. Did another seasoning the next day, same process. I pre-heat it in the oven at 225° for 15 min before using on a gas stove. Burner is turned down a small flame. Add Crisco oil and put in the bacon moving it around to maker sure the oil is spread and is under the bacon. Half way through the cooking of the bacon there are three small areas near the center that want to start sticking and gumming up. Did get the eggs fried without tearing them completely up. After it cools down I ad a bit of water and use a plastic scraper which loosens all the sticky stuff with no problem. Wipes clean with paper towel and oiled for next time.

I thought I had done everything right (sorry for the long winded explanation) but this griddle still want to stick in those three little areas. Am I missing something, doing something wrong, or not doing something I should be? Will this take care of itself with uses? New to the cast iron cook ware field and appreciate all the help I can get. The Getmodnow website specializes in providing APK apps and games for free, and the site always unlocks features for everyone to experience for free.

View attachment 8688 View attachment 8689
I usually use bacon or sugar. You can try

Back