Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-06-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Rust!

Both of my gas ovens (Georgia - humid - and NE Utah - dry) fogged up the glass when they were first turned on. As they heated up, the moisture was driven out. I learned to not put any cast iron in them until they dried out.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2021, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Rust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Gardner View Post
This is occurring with a Griswold DO that I'm trying to season, as well. I washed it 3 or 4 times (in cold water) after cleaning with lye, quickly dried off with a clean rag, popped it into a 200 degree oven and got a ton of flash rust. I did the initial seasoning layer and it never really was wiping clean of the rusty film. I did a second one and while it's getting better, there's still residue. Do I need to start over, or are some pieces just stubborn and require multiple layers? I worry that I'm imbedding rust into the seasoning (is that even possible)?

I just stripped and seasoned a no 7 Griswold skillet and while it also flash rusted in the oven, it all came off on the first seasoning pass and came out a beautiful, uniform black color. Not sure why they were so different...
I tried the 200 degree oven routine with my cornstick pans and got serious flash rust. I have a gas oven so it runs moist but even with the door cracked it was a problem. heating the pans on the stove top gives no flash rust so I'm going back to that. Of small note, the climate here is very dry.

Where I have gotten flash rust on the inside of lids from cooking I just season over it. 3 coats. They are very hard to wipe. I'm working on a spray process for applying thin films of oil to such surfaces.