Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Cast Iron (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   CI Displayed In Your Kitchen? Got a Pic? (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2248)

DAustin 06-12-2015 09:40 PM

Re: CI Displayed In Your Kitchen? Got a Pic?

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my racks in my kitchen. I am really impressed with how much those things can hold. Bought off of Amazon at about $50.00 ea, come with lag bolts and the bracing to the wall comes with 16" OC so you can screw directly into wall studs.

Here is another (very cool) option if you shelves won't work: http://www.castironcollector.com/for...ead.php?t=2106

RickC 06-12-2015 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My kitchen is very small (apartment) so I store my iron in the closet right off of the kitchen. And also on smaller shelves in the hall.. And some other places... :redface: The big shelves will hold 300lbs per shelf, the smaller shelves, Not sure.

Bonnie Scott 06-12-2015 11:03 PM

Most of mine is under the futon. :cry:

Sharon Shuman 06-13-2015 06:59 AM

Hi, folks. No, I don't have any pictures available yet--hubby does that, and I have not yet gotten him to try it here! I used to live in a house with TRULY funky walls, but if you found a stud, cast iron could be hung easily. Am now in a newer house with regular dry wall. Can anybody suggest something that will hold weight without tearing it up?

Shawn R 06-13-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAustin (Post 11819)
Here are my racks in my kitchen. I am really impressed with how much those things can hold. Bought off of Amazon at about $50.00 ea, come with lag bolts and the bracing to the wall comes with 16" OC so you can screw directly into wall studs.

That's the way I would have liked to display our pans. But not with newer house with metal wall studs. Our next house will have real walls like you DAustin.

TedW 06-13-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott (Post 11831)
Most of mine is under the futon. :cry:

Best Answer!!!

W. Hilditch 06-13-2015 07:18 PM

In my under counter pic above , note that skillets are stacked. I do not oil these well seasoned skillets after use as they don't need it and I do not treat them roughly, but with respect. No paper in between skillets and I have never noticed any detrimental chipping, rust or other effects from stacking well seasoned skillets.

I put my go to skillets on the top, and my Dutch oven even sits on top of a #3 sitting in a #5 skillet on the upper shelf. No wear or tear on the smaller pieces that I can tell.

A well seasoned piece of CI is tough.

Hildith

KFSchmidt 06-13-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Shuman (Post 11834)
Hi, folks. No, I don't have any pictures available yet--hubby does that, and I have not yet gotten him to try it here! I used to live in a house with TRULY funky walls, but if you found a stud, cast iron could be hung easily. Am now in a newer house with regular dry wall. Can anybody suggest something that will hold weight without tearing it up?

I'd look into a French Cleat type system. It is basically a system of complementary angles (45-45, 30-60, etc.) where one piece is screwed into a stud(s) and the other is part of the shelf.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn R (Post 11813)
We would have liked to hang our pans from some type of rack. I didn't want to mess up the textured wall/ceiling covering. So we decided to use a hutch to display and store. Then I made a skillet stand out of some scrap wood I had, still need to finish it.
Image Image Image

Do you have dimensions on the shelf? Looks like a great way to store and display.

Shawn R 06-13-2015 08:10 PM

KFSchmidt, the cabinet is 71" tall, 38" wide. The top shelf is 11" deep and the bottom is 17" deep. My wife wants me to remove the glass from the doors and replace it with wire fence to make it look a bit more rustic. Also so the glass doesn't get broke if something falls over.

TedW 06-13-2015 10:10 PM

Shawn- Super display and such nice pieces! That mini-bundt cake pan you have on the countertop of your cabinet- is that cast iron? Non-stick coated?

Really nice display!

KFSchmidt- Great idea on the French Cleat. That's really helpful. Thanks!