Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (
-   General Cast Iron (
-   -   What Is This ??? (

Dan B 06-13-2019 09:03 AM

What Is This ???
While this looks like it may be an Erie, it is the thing (I have no idea how to describe it) at 12 o'clock that has me baffled.

Any help with more information on this piece would be welcomed.

As always, thanks!

Doug D. 06-13-2019 09:30 AM

Re: What Is This ???
It's called an "odorless" skillet. The duct is meant to allow the natural draft of a wood stove to pull cooking odors down through it to be channeled up and out the flue instead of permeating the kitchen. It was designed to work best with a lid on the pan, usually something loose-fitting like a tin one.

Dan B 06-13-2019 09:41 AM

Re: What Is This ???
Thank you Doug... there certainly are lots of oddities in the world of cast iron.

D_Madden 06-15-2019 07:22 PM

Re: What Is This ???
I have this one... has an 1879 patent date.

WallyF 06-16-2019 06:03 PM

Re: What Is This ???

That is way KOOL! A single spout with a bottom gate mark and a heat ring.

Do you use it a lot?

D_Madden 06-17-2019 10:33 PM

Re: What Is This ???
sadly, no... it's on the shelf with the other gate marked pans... I have a lot that I don't currently cook with. but it is an interesting old pan.

Dan B 07-01-2019 12:33 PM

Re: What Is This ???
Hi All, me again on the same skillet I had asked about earlier...

I picked up the skillet and restored it. Despite the pitting on the bottom it cleaned up nicely. I am looking for more information on it, if anyone can help. The date of manufacture and any other info would be appreciated

Based on this site it seems clear to me that it is an "Odorless Beveridge Cast Iron Skillet" While hard to see in the picture the "date applied fore in script sideways on handle" is spot on.

Here are the after pictures.

As always, thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.