Storing in Plastic Bags

RJ Ruchti

I have about 25+ pieces of CI that is stored on a 30" wide ledge alongside the steps to the basement. To keep them clean I have them in clear plastic bags with a pencil hole poked in for ventilation. Living in a rural area with rock roads and farm fields all around we have dust. House is climate controlled. Is using plastic bags a good or bad idea and why? Thank you for your comments.

I think you may still risk condensation forming if the pans have been cold and then the air around them warms up. Paper grocery bags might be better.

Only temperature change around the pans would be in the winter when the thermostat goes down to 62° at night. Then back to 68 through the day. Pans would be on the main floor of the house. My idea was to store, protect from dust and display. Maybe be better off with a sheet of plastic over all of them?

collection.jpg

I was envisioning a more subterranean location. The bags may indeed not be a problem, but I would check on them whenever the weather changes like that to make sure they remain dry.

Thanks Doug. I did not explain very well exactly where they were in my first post. My computer is next to the railing in the pic. Easy to see the
CI and reminder to keep tabs on it.

I have seen what CI in plastic bags will become, and not anything good. No Not Mine, Dust does not scare me because plastic on my iron would clutter up the look I have. I have 5 large CI Kettles beside my desk as I am sitting here, and 6 CI pieces over my desk.

I would get a thin clear plastic roll and just loosely lay it over the top. Metal needs to breathe.

I don't really like the way they look either but is the best I could come up with when they had to be moved to use the fireplace. They occupy the only available floor space other than the basement and that is not an option. Hanging from the ceiling is out also as this is a manufactured home and not sure what was used for the trusses. I have found an industrial steel shelf system with 6 shelves that will reach floor to within 6" of the ceiling, each shelf will support 350 lbs with a total support weight of 2100 lbs. Plan is to get one of them after the first of the year and store them in the open out of the plastic bags. I didn't mention this but there is silicone packets inside each pan and the lids are held up on the back side with folded paper napkins.

I see no problem with the hole poked in, as long as its available to the air. They should stay dry. I hang mine, and they do get dusty, but thats just a time to admire the pans and clean them up to be used. I have a shelf kinda like you said. It is loaded with CI, and it holds really well. Its a Costco metal shelf.

This is the one I am looking at. Additional shelves are available for it. Will use the leveling feet rather than the wheels. 350 lb per shelf that way v 85 lb with wheels. Can anchor to the wall for extra stability. Late Self Santa present.

This is the one I am looking at. Additional shelves are available for it. Will use the leveling feet rather than the wheels. 350 lb per shelf that way v 85 lb with wheels. Can anchor to the wall for extra stability. Late Self Santa present.
Those shelves are very sturdy, and I have no issues with the wheels. I once had a glass insulator collection on every shelf with added lights to each shelf, looked great and easy to move to glean.

The area I plan to put the shelving is where the CI is stored now, on the ledge next to the steps going down to the basement. Only be about 16" of the ledge left with the shelf in place. Really no room or place to move it to once it is loaded down with CI. I would lose about 4.5" of top shelf clearance with the wheels on also so will go with the levelers instead. It will have to be assembled in place as it is.

20231220_231127.jpg

The bookcase is 12" wide so another 6" won't leave much room on that ledge. Will anchor it to the wall just in case someone decided to walk out there, loose their balance and grab that rack on their way down.

Back