Please help identify! Pt 1

A.Jackson

I recently inherited some cast iron pieces (both in dire need of a good cleaning, which will happen soon) and would like help in identifying.

I'm leaning toward BSR but but the handle where it attaches to the pot part on item is throwing me and on the lid, on either side of the lid handle, there are arrows.
20240330_202355.jpg20240330_202423.jpg

Under the lid is "FP".
20240330_202401.jpg

The bottom is smooth and stamped 8B.
20240330_202443.jpg

I'll have a second post following this one for item #2. I can only attach 5 pictures.

Any information on this item (a Dutch oven?) would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Amanda

This isn't a dutch oven, it's a flat bottom kettle (or pot). BSR dutch ovens have a pour lip, so they are supplied with a cover that has lip covering ears, a skillet cover actually. This cover is marked FP as a reminder of what it goes with. BSR sold sets with a skillet and dutch oven in which the DO cover also fit the skillet.

Things get confusing when the internet wants to make the F seen on some kettles this same general shape stand for Franklin. Your piece and cover were made much earlier than the actual BSR (Atlanta Stove Works actually) Franklin Bean Pots that were marketed in the 1970s as a stove accessory. Those had covers with smooth undersides and a tab handle.

Back