Photos

Scott J.

I recently added a post with a photo that is 110KB. It apparently triggered a post about "Adding Photos To a Forum Post". I understand server space etc but typically have found the terms and conditions of photo hosting sites to be unacceptable. If I upload a photo to imgur.com without creating an account how does it not run afoul of bandwidth theft? I would like to be a participant in these forums as I try to date (and evaluate) my inherited and purchased cast iron.

4. Using imgur.com (recommended): Photos may be uploaded from your computer to imgur.com without creating an account. After uploading, copy the URL for the individual image (right-click on image and choose View Image) and paste it into your post between img or rimg tags. Or create an account to be able to access and manage previously uploaded photos at a later time. (Account-related images provide forum-ready bbcode links.)

Important Note: Inline linking to images on websites other than castironcollector.com or one that you yourself own, control, or pay for is considered improper, as it constitutes "bandwidth theft", in that the other site owner is technically paying to display the image every time the post is viewed.

The pinned topics "Adding Photos to a Forum Post" have been in place over a decade now. Imgur does not fall under the bandwidth theft caveat because it specifically allows image posting without an account. Linking to images on other sites becomes a problem when the other site is an nonconsenting participant in the use of its bandwidth.

Back