New from Galax, VA

Scott Gammons

Hi everyone. I am a 51 year old nerd who picked up my first piece of vintage cast iron from my Great Grandparent's old farm in a garbage pile. It was rusty Lodge 8 SK from early post 60's and noone in my extended family wanted it. I saw it as a part of my family history and took it home intending to clean it up. but it took over a year for me to get off my butt and actually restore it this weekend. Cooked my first successful egg and saw how nonstick a properly seasoned antique cast iron pan can be and fell in love with cast iron cookware. Went to the local Goodwill and found what might be an old 30's era unmarked Wagner #5 for $10. Snagged an unmarked Wagner #3 (1920's vintage) and #6 (60's or newer) on ebay last night for $20 amd $25 shipped.

The #5 I found at Goodwill is kinda unusual in it's markings and I suspect that it could be a cloned pan that some other foundry made using an original Wagner pan to make the molds. Its a really nice pan either way though. I am sure of the other three pans I have and I have zero doubts about their origins. I attached a photo of the bottom and the handle specifically. The bottom itself has no markings and there is no number on the top side of the handle like other examples of Wagners that I have seen. The only marking on the whole pan is the mark you see in the picture near the loop. The dot that would be visible on the flat triangle where the handle meets the side is almost not there. Makes me think it is a cloned pan.

Attachments

• signal-2022-05-03-18-44-02-185.jpg
    signal-2022-05-03-18-44-02-185.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Doug! I appreciate the help.

I researched the #3 and think it's a Vollrath. I see a lot of these unmarked pans with the handle that has a steep V rib on the bottom leading into the base of the pan identified as Wagners. It's very confusing. I will post pics when it gets here.

Back