Need some advice on getting rid of rust ..

MikeLayton

Hi all , I need some good advice on getting rid of rust color on my Wagner 1088 skillet , I've lye tanked it , I've used my shotty e-tank and cooked many times with it . This red tint still comes back even when I put a coat of lard on it my paper turns red ..... . Should I walnut shell blast it ? Glass beads ? Re electroisis tank it ?

IMG_1147.jpeg

IMG_1146.jpeg

Rust is a chemical reaction between iron and oxygen in the presence of moisture. Blasting with any medium will not solve the issue, and is not recommended in any case in order to preserve collectible value. I am confused about the part where you say you've cooked in it, after seasoning it I presume, but are getting rust on a towel when applying a coating of lard.

Rust is a chemical reaction between iron and oxygen in the presence of moisture. Blasting with any medium will not solve the issue, and is not recommended in any case in order to preserve collectible value. I am confused about the part where you say you've cooked in it, after seasoning it I presume, but are getting rust on a towel when applying a coating of lard.
Correct I've fried potatoes and sausage in it and even baked a meatloaf in it .... and yes after I clean it up it does turn the towel red when I oil it up .

Or should I put it back in the e-dip for longer time ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have applied a manual seasoning to a pan, the process of wiping off excess oil/Crisco/lard before baking it should have removed any flash rust. The remaining thin coating, even before baking to a dry state, should seal the iron and prevent further flash rusting. Once baked dry, there shouldn't be any rust to transfer to a rag/towel. If anything, I would expect perhaps a black residue from some carbonization of the seasoning (or of food cooked). Are you following that basic process for your manual seasoning? Or maybe it's something else from the cooked food?

You mention your "shotty e-tank". Does it get all the rust off then wash it with SS brush, or sos pad so your metal is gray / silverish. Should have no rust red before seasoning. After the eTank wash, rinse with cold water and dry and into the oven, should be no red. I myself do not have any issues with flash rust. But like what was stated above it should wipe off after the first or 2nd seasoning wipe down.

I had this happen to me once. If I remember right, I just scrubbed hard with an SOS pad til it was bare metal, then just regular seasoning with Crisco. Worked on mine at least.

I usually leave a rusty skillet in the E-tan 18-24 hours. Amp reading is right around the 5-6 amp area if you can trust those meters. Lot of times I will have a lot of white foam type stuff floating around on top of the liquid which I remove most of with a big spoon. Like has been mentioned, scrub with SS brush and/or steel wool. I use a soapy dishwashing grease cutting soap in hot water to scrub them down with. I rinse under running hot water and dry with a towel while on my way to the oven at 225 for the 15-20 min. drying. Then the seasoning. Little different than some or most but has worked good for me. Once seasoned have not had any rust return.

Back