Matching Griswold lids to skillets?

StueySF

I just picked up a "large block" Griswold no. 8 skillet with a heat ring. I'd like to find a lid that would match it (size and era) but I can't find any info about how to date lids, and there seem to be at least a couple styles on Ebay. Any info or links would be appreciated!

The BB dates your LBL skillet with heat ring 1920-1930. The only lid it dates within that timeframe is the "low dome raised letter".

Lid on eBay

Not sure I'd want to pay that much, though. BB values it at just under half that.

Thanks! Yes, that price is steep. More than twice what I paid for the skillet. Here is a photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 20
Thanks! Yes, that price is steep. More than twice what I paid for the skillet. Here is a photo.

It's not unusual at all for a skillet lid to cost SEVERAL times more than the skillet.

You should be able to find a nice #8 raised letter skillet lid for $50.

The BB dates your LBL skillet with heat ring 1920-1930. The only lid it dates within that timeframe is the "low dome raised letter".

Lid on eBay

I noticed there is a similar lid, however it only has the 1925 trademark, not both the 1925 and 1920 like this eBay item. Do you happen to know if this is a different lid, or just a variation?

Thanks,
Stuart

I noticed there is a similar lid, however it only has the 1925 trademark, not both the 1925 and 1920 like this eBay item. Do you happen to know if this is a different lid, or just a variation?
My understanding is that the double date covers are later than the single date, i.e. the earlier 1920 patent date marking was added at some point.

I agree with Doug. You'll see high domed covers with both dates and the high covers are later than the low so the two dates must be the earlier ones.

If you have a very early No.8 block TM skillet you could use the "Patent Appl'd For" No.8 block TM skillet cover that I will sell. Has an early style handle and not like all other skillet covers.

Back