Greetings from a "Noob".

Johan Maree

Hallo there, thank you for accepting me as a member. I'm new to the proper cleaning and seasoning of cast iron, although I have used cast iron cookware in the past. However, I've never learned how to properly take care of my old Dutch oven, but now I'm ready to learn.

I also have a question; can someone please tell me who manufactured this skillet which I've restored recently? I believe it's a spider skillet.

Thanks.

Spider_Skillet_Coulage.jpg

Interesting that the cover is gatemarked while the pan is not. Perhaps something to do with the molding of the handle, perhaps not. The flanged cover would make this more a camp skillet than a spider, although some might argue it technically is. No name on these apparently pre-20th century unmarked pieces normally means no ID as to maker. Cleaned up nice, though.

Doug D, Thank you for your feedback. The lack of a gatemark at the bottom of the skillet also baffled me, but could it be possible that the lid and the pan are not of the same age? Is it possible that the original pan became unusable and a newer version without a gatemark was purchased as a replacement?

Something else which is intriguing would be the "10 IN". The inside measurement at the top is only 8⅞".

I have two spider skillets that have handles identical to the one shown, with a very flat handle surface and an identical font showing the size. And I've seen many other spider skillets on the internet with identical handles.

On the homepage of the Facebook group named "Cast Iron cookware Identification" they have a picture of a restored spider skillet that has the same kind of handle and a lid from Blacklock Foundry.

Is it safe to say that these spiders are from Blacklock?

eybhbdz.jpeg

I always characterize the two pans and lids shown here as being camp skillets, and spiders as being smaller, lighter and without flanged covers (or any cover for that matter). My guess would be that the pan from the facebook group is more likely a marriage than a match, due to the inconsistency between the font on the cover and that on the handle. Flat topped handles on pieces like these are not uncommon, so I wouldn't tie the characteristic to any particular maker.

More evidence….

Check out this post from Lodge’s Facebook page. Spiders/skillets that have handles like this must have come from Blacklock. Thoughts?

"This Blacklock Foundry spider skillet was made between 1896 and 1910. In 1910, the Blacklock Foundry burnt down. Upon reorganization, the company was named Lodge Manufacturing. That means this skillet is at least 106 years old!"

18216791_10154483903375496_7389770978984495934_o.jpg

Back