gem pans

JMoss

I am not a stick or gem pan collector but I recently bought these two with an intent to clean, restore and resale. The Griswold is easy to identify and can be seen at the bottom of page 123 in the BB. The second pan does not have a name on it but is marked No. 23 - S (first line) and TINY CORN STICK on the second line. I cannot find it in the BB or RB. If anyone can help identify it please let me know.

Thanks,
Jack

https://plus.google.com/photos/1183...s/5923942021284894529?authkey=CL2-icz1nIidmwE

I've seen that 23 more than one once before, and can't tell if that's supposed to be an S or a 5. I guess it does look basically the same as the S in STICK, though. Both sellers tried to represent it as an unmarked Griswold, but I highly doubt it is. I have a #27 as well, and a fun time it was getting it cleaned up.

Thanks Doug. The lettering is pretty sharp and I have no doubt it was intended to be an S.

You are right about it being difficult to clean. The pan has spent weeks in the lye bath and days in the electrolysis tank and I'm still not satisfied with it

Jack

The bottom looks good. Try bamboo skewers for the fine detail in the cups. That's what I used on both my #27 and aluminum 8027.

23-S is the marking on those pans. I don't know the maker but suspect it was a southern foundry. Can't remember now if there was a 23 which would be a full length like the Griswold No.23. 23-S may stand for 23 Short. I think there is also a 22 but don't recall a 22-S. I used to collect all sorts of gem and mold pans and had a number of these years ago. Nicely cast pans but no relation to Griswold or Wagner.

Thanks Steve and Doug.

Do either of you have a bread recipe that would be suitable to use with the Griswold bread stick pans?

I don't but you might search the internet or just use some bread dough filling the "cups" about 1/2 to 1/3 the way and try that. I have a stick pans that says right on it "use thin flat strips of dough". I've not tried it.

Back