Fire Kettle Identification

SuzanneF

Hi all, I am looking for any help in identifying the age, type, and any history of fire this kettle. I inherited this from my grandmother and I am thinking it may be 1750's. I am familiar with the term gypsy pot, however I thought those were only the bulb shape.

There is some great info here https://minuteman.boards.net/thread/61/cast-iron-gypsy-legged-older about the style, but again these are all about the bulb type, where as mine has similar elements but a completely different shape. From what we can see on my pot is that it has straight sides, triangular yet rounded legs, a visible round sprue on the bottom. There are no interior markings and the ears are only slightly upward.

Dimensions are;
height 9.5"
diameter 10.5"
legs 2"

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0607.jpg
    IMG_0607.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8
Most commonly referred to as just a "footed kettle". Items with a sprue mark are generally earlier than those with a bottom gate mark. The "D-shaped" leg profile became more prevalent after conical-shaped legs. My guess would be more like 1800-1850s.

Hi Doug, Thank you so much for your input. Do you happen to know if these were more rare than gypsy pots or vice versa?

The internet doesn't seem to have a clear consensus on what constitutes a "gypsy pot", but most appear to apply the term to a footed bulged kettle. It has been said that, if early frontier settlers had but one cast iron utensil, it would have been a bulged kettle. Most makers made both footed straight and bulged kettles.

Back