1847 patent 'cannonball' coffee roaster

I'm assuming this is related to the Thomas Wood patent for 'spherical' coffee roasters.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US6345A/en
I never thought I would see another one of these roasters. The one I have is the 1849 U. S. Patent roaster. It seems yours is before the patent was issued. It's interesting that on my 1859 Harrington roaster both patent dates are listed on the ring. You can see both of these roasters on my site at https://www.oldcoffeeroaster.com

I never thought I would see another one of these roasters. The one I have is the 1849 U. S. Patent roaster. It seems yours is before the patent was issued. It's interesting that on my 1859 Harrington roaster both patent dates are listed on the ring. You can see both of these roasters on my site at https://www.oldcoffeeroaster.com
yeah, I was wondering about the dates. I was aware of the 1849 patent for 'spherical' coffee roasters and wondered what the 1847 date was about... at first I assumed it was 1849 and I only had bad pictures to look at from the auction... but once I saw it in person it was obvious it really was 1847. someone suggested the patent was applied for in 1847 and not actually granted until 1849... and I assume they would change the pattern to have the 1849 date after it was actually granted... which possibly leaves a pretty small window for when this one was made.

yeah, I was wondering about the dates. I was aware of the 1849 patent for 'spherical' coffee roasters and wondered what the 1847 date was about... at first I assumed it was 1849 and I only had bad pictures to look at from the auction... but once I saw it in person it was obvious it really was 1847. someone suggested the patent was applied for in 1847 and not actually granted until 1849... and I assume they would change the pattern to have the 1849 date after it was actually granted... which possibly leaves a pretty small window for when this one was made.
I found your roaster very interesting. I have searched google patents and the only one I saw that was patented was the 1849 patent. From what I saw in the picture the lifting eye looks the same. I need to take better pictures and detentions. It is in storage right now and I will dig it out.

Attachments

• Wood-Harrington.png
    Wood-Harrington.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 2
Very Interesting to say, but would hate to work it at Starbucks.

You try roasting any coffee beans?
not yet... probably won't... while the base seems stable enough and it spins easily... the temp and timing might take a lot of practice to get right... since there's no way to 'check' the beans without stopping it and pulling the top half off... most roasters have some way to peek inside or extract a couple of beans to see how far along they are.

Nope, not the same one. I was chasing a identical one, right down to the lift handle, up in Mattoon.
it's the same one... effingham is only about 20 miles south of mattoon... and there are a couple of antique/junk stores I'm aware of in effingham... so I made some extra stops on the way home... plus lunch at the goat... it's a little out of my normal territory but I didn't want the auction company to even attempt to pack it and mail it to me... so I went to pick it up... a little over 2.5 hours each way.

Is it possible to show this on my web site? I of course will give you credit for it. I’m going to take measurements and weight and hopefully we can see If they are close to being the same. I thought mine was rare but if yours was the prototype it’s a one of a kind.

Is it possible to show this on my web site? I of course will give you credit for it. I’m going to take measurements and weight and hopefully we can see If they are close to being the same. I thought mine was rare but if yours was the prototype it’s a one of a kind.
sure... I love that you've collected so much good information in one place to share with others. you can use the pics from the imgur link or I can take more pics with more info, dimensions, etc. let me know if there is anything specific you would like to see better.

Back