Hello from Georgia

TDBiles

We're (wife and myself) new to this cast iron thing. Mid January this year, we were in an antique shop looking for other items and a guy named Jeff Rogers was making a video for YouTube. He was talking about a cast iron skillet he was holding. We struck up a conversation, and was impressed and enthused by his knowledge. Well he evidently had a virus that spread to us. In that short amount of time since then, we now have ~56 pieces of cast iron and we're cooking bout everything in cast iron. I enjoy the collecting with the mystery of the next piece. There's something to be said about finding a piece covered with gook and rust, using your hands to clean it, watching it change into a thing of beauty.

I meant to keep it short, got carried away. Anyway hello from GA.
Believe it or not, we have snow today!

Welcome, TD. What part of Georgia are you from?

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

BTW, that virus you mentioned? I know of no cure. Just keep treating the symptoms. :chuckle:

Hello Ken,

Appreciate the welcome. We're about 50 miles North of Atlanta. We've got ice and snow, not the norm for us. So we've spent the day cleaning and seasoning some cast iron.

This site has been very helpful for us. Lot of good information. A few things that we've noticed in our short time collecting:

-Hard to discover the identity of unmarked pieces.
-Information is scattered throughout the web, gotta dig.
-We really like how smooth the bottoms are in the National and Vollrath skillets.
-We've bought a fake Griswold, helped with our learning.:smile:
-Was proud when we properly identified and purchased a Griswold waffle iron made for Standard Gas Equipment Corp.

GLAD TO SEE MY FELLOW Georgian HERE....JUST JOINED! I AM IN SOUTH GEORGIA AND TRAVEL IN BUSINESS AROUND THE SE REGION...

Back