Lodge Dutch Oven #8.....

CDLaine

On my way back from home (from work) I dropped into a GoodWill... found this little Lodge Dutch Oven #8 (with bail but no lid (I have a lid that fits perfect)) out on one of their shelves. No wobble, no spin, no cracks. I gave $7.00. It is in good trim but needs seasoning. It is heavy.

So, I had to test it to see if it worked....:chuckle:

Browned some Turkey Kielbasa, threw in dirty rice, at the end added shrimp. Fresh grated Parmesan in the bowl.... and, added a shot of Maker's Mark to the Sun Tea. 😎

p.s. while cooking , defrosted some Jewish Rye bread for sopping duty.
apologies for the Mario Batali enameled lid... had to make do. :D

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/sR0Dd

CD,

Think you got a good value. I'm sure it will perform even better with use.

The recipe sounds very interesting. Curious why no red beans or cornbread?

Wally

Good question Wally....just did cornbread last Friday (needed a break). I thought about red beans.... but just whipped this together at the last minute...added a lil' Tabasco....livin' large. Just good enough to feel full but not hurtin' . ;) ...burp.

The Dutch oven is a cool addition...lucky find. I noticed this bail doesn't have the same configuration as the current era Lodge. Maybe this D.O. was part of the Lodge Logic line-up ??? Also, I saw where Lodge makes a Cast iron cookbook...might just have to check that out. Next up ..whole chicken with extra added attractions. :glutton:

Thanks Ron... it was very tasty.

Charles

A 2nd shift production identifier used sometime between the mid-1970s up until 2002. Easily overlooked until you know to watch for them.

Thanks for the info Mr. Doug.... I definately overlooked it. It's funny how you can look at things many times, but not see the details. Thank you for sharing the knowledge...I appreciate it.

Charles

Good find. I like how you reused an old kettle as a kitchen tool holder. I also love seeded rye bread.
If I missed it, sorry, I think Doug just exposed the "Lodge Heart"

Thanks Bryan...good eye... that 3-leg bean pot is of late 1800's vintage...I was
searching for a way to re-purpose it... this way works perfectly, and, looks as if it belongs.

Nicole...it has already earned it's place in the rotation. And, in case you have not already visited this link...
a worthwhile bookmark. :cool:

Charles

http://www.lodgemfg.com/recipes

A 2nd shift production identifier used sometime between the mid-1970s up until 2002. Easily overlooked until you know to watch for them.

Was the heart used only during that period of time? Attached are pictures of a Lodge muffin pan. Any luck with dating the piece?

Attachments

• 20170713_194200-421x748.jpg
    20170713_194200-421x748.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170713_194210-421x748.jpg
    20170713_194210-421x748.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 20
The heart shift identifier was used during that time frame, as confirmed by Lodge. The 5P2, the 2 representing one of a few revisions of the piece, appears to have been sold at least up until the late 1990s. Not sure when it began, however.

Back