Griswold #283 DuChro

Doug D.

Administrator
Staff member
A recent discussion offline concerned a Griswold #283 corn stick pan in the DuChro finish. DuChro stands for Dull Chrome, and describes Griswold pieces that were chrome plated with only the tops and highlights polished but the rest left a dull matte silvery gray. Probably really some kind of marketing spin on not being able to mirror polish the insides or bottoms of corn stick pans, but anyway...

The discussion was about a #283 on which only the tops of the handles on the ends were mirror polished and the rest, top included, was dull. I also happened to have one the same and was able to report that it apparently wasn't unusual, but I did have #262 and a #273 in DuChro, both of which have totally polished tops. Then I ran across this #283 at an antique store today:
Yep, totally polished top. So now the question is did they start polishing the 283s where they didn't before or instead stop? Or did we have a trainee the day the two owned by we who were having the conversation were made? (Doubt it, though.) Dull top, shiny handles:

The dull top looks like someone may have stripped the chrome from most of the top but not the handle tops. I have not seen one like that.

Doug, nice find. I had years ago the 273 DuChro, just like the 283 you just found.
Maybe our 283s were made on a Friday!!:icon_thumbsup:

They make nice full round corn sticks. Add some maple syrup in place of the sugar next time you make some corn bread:glutton:.
I also picked up the plain CI 283

Doug D. 262 Corn Stick in DuChro just like the 283 you found. I wonder it they made them like our 283 with just the polished ends?

I have all 3 Corn Stick sizes in CI, only 2 with the DuChro. The hunt never ends.

Image Image

I took a chance on ebay and bought one of these last week. It arrived yesterday in a flat rate shipping box with no packaging and the handle sticking out. Despite all that, it arrived undamaged. The majority of what appears to be damage in the ebay picture turned out to be crud and I am thankful for that. I see in Doug and Jeffrey's pictures that it looks like they have applied a light coat of oil and seasoned in the oven. I am only cleaning mine for display so I am wondering is the seasoning even necessary on a Du-chro? I am also curious if anybody uses wet aluminum foil to polish chrome?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-no-...QjjUS%2FtYkOmMA%2BMeo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Back