Need Help Identifying Dutch Oven

JMoss

Found this at a resale shop today.
http://imgur.com/a/WOuMZ

Anybody recognize this thing? Very high domed lid, no markings on lid, the dripper pattern is three concentric circles, each broken into 4 pieces, smooth cooking surface, bottom is marked DUTCH OVEN No. 8.

Disregard the writtings on the lid, I assure I did not pay anything close to that asking price.

It is going in the e-tank in a few minutes. If anything new is revealed I will update this post.

Thank you for your help.

Jack

Hi J,

I would suggest that you try and remove what looks like white paint, letters and numbers before you put it in your e-tank or if it is in there now take it out and remove the paint or it might leave a ghost mark from being in the e-tank if it takes awhile for the paint to come off by itself.

Your dutch oven is an Iron Age piece made by the Foster Stove Company of Ironton, Ohio. They also made a deep skillet with lid marked Chicken Pan with a Griswold Iron Mountain style handle.

Your dutch oven is an Iron Age piece made by the Foster Stove Company of Ironton, Ohio. They also made a deep skillet with lid marked Chicken Pan with a Griswold Iron Mountain style handle.

Jeff, I agree that Jacks lid is an Iron age like the one I found last week. I do not agree that they produced a pan with a handle like an Iron Mountain, marked chicken fryer. I have seen the picture of the married set and the chicken fryer is indeed an Iron Mountain. Iron Age did make a chicken fryer but the examples I have seen have a similar handle to the other skillets they made. If I am mistaken then please post a picture of the Iron Age chicken fryer with the Griswold IM handle.

Jeff, Do you have a picture of the whole bottom of the pan with the handle included? Is that your pan? I do thank you for helping me identify the lid.

Jack, here is the lid I found last week.

http://imgur.com/a/Q9Nu6

Nevermind Jeff, I just found that chicken fryer on ebay. It does have the same handle. I also found one with a different handle. I guess they made two?

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Here is a picture of a pan I bought and sold a while back made by the same company.
http://imgur.com/uefBGkO

Last edited:
Thanks folks, you guys are terrific.

Eldon, the white paint came off after about 20 minutes in the e-tank. And, it revealed an incised No. 8 just like the one in the picture posted by Bonnie. Thank you Bonnie.

Jeff S, Thanks for nailing that ID so quickly. This is the first piece of Foster that I have found. Is it common where you live?

Happy hunting
Jack

Last edited:
Jeff S, Thanks for nailing that ID so quickly. This is the first piece of Foster that I have found. Is it common where you live?
Jack

Not real common in my area. The pan I posted pics of isn't mine but I've seen a couple over the years. I have also come across a few skillets with the Foster logo like Bonnie posted but I don't believe any had the Ironton, Ohio markings.

Back