mystery pan to me

Hello all! Im very new to cast iron and have to say I love this site! Bare with me because im new at it all. This is my first cast iron pan to redo, it was given to me. So the price was right, I started by placing in fire, to burn off the crud,then scoured with sos pads, then scrubbed with dawn, dryed and seasoned. i thought it turned out nice,i probably wont place anymore pans in fire after reading the tutorial. Any help on identifying this pan would be appreciated,thanks again Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 81
I think your pan is a mystery to everyone. Some pans can't be identified. I have a griddle with the same type of numbering in the same location, and the same inset heat ring, I don't think I will ever identify the maker.

the pan has a real smooth cooking surface,and the numbers 163 on the bottom,i have not cooked with it yet,but i am looking forward to it,thanks for the responses,Brian

You may have found the Holy Grail! Mine does have an ampersand as the molder's mark and it is in the 5:30 position. The location of your's is interesting (and the fact it is a number rather than a letter).

Still, the rest of the pan looks the same.

Sounds like you're dropping a hint there for those cups Bonnie? I want on that list also.
As for these mystery CI pieces shown in this post I sometimes let my mind take me out of the box so to speak and have often wondered if a CI manufacturer made CI pieces for the railroads. I have done some research but have no evidence that that happened. I was thinking that the railroad co. may have had special numbers (Two or Three Digit) that were associated with a particular route. If they used say Gris. or WW iron it may have disappeared at the end of these routes directly to the conductors home. It could be I'm thinking with FUMA (Foolish, Useless, Miraculous, Assumption) and am completely off base. Maybe Doug will bail me out on this one.

I knew that there was something good going to come from my post and you have hit the spot. The iron oar may have come by river boat also thus a lot of foundry's were on or near waterways. I have seen on eBay several pieces over the past year that were presumed to be made specifically for ship service. One comes to mind that a CI bean pot had a flatten side opposite the handle with a sort of tab that was turned downward and was said to latch over a plate mounted to a stove in order to keep from sliding off the cooking surface. I bid on it but the price got well above $200 so I bailed.
You actually brought up a good point that a lot of our new members may not be aware of and those mugs do help support this site which I am thankful of every time I log on. They are as good if not better than the Yeti's and much cheaper and...they do make excellent X-Mas presents.
Thanks again Bonnie

Back