Skillet Weights

SteveT

Yesterday, I weighed out four skillets, from a range of vintages, because I'd noticed the different weights. Here's what I found:

Martin 7, 4 7/8lbs (vintage unknown)
Lodge 8, 5 5/8lbs (1990s vintage)
Sidney Hollow Ware 8, 3 5/8lbs (1890s vintage)
Wapak 8, 4lbs (1900s vintage)

I like these lightweight old skillets, in part because they're light. I've read that I need to take time to get to know the skillets, as they may have hot spots, since the thin metal doesn't spread out the heat like the modern Lodge ones do.

That Sidney makes a mean cornbread!

Is there anything else to look out for, or do different, with the light skillets?

Thanks,
Steve

I recently started using a #7 with a Favorite Piqua Ware smiley logo ghost mark. It weighs in at all of 2 lbs 11 ounces and rapidly became my favorite omelette pan. I have to keep the burner a little lower than I do with my heavier skillets but otherwise I don't treat it any differently. I love how fast it warms up.

Ty covered it well with quicker warm-ups and turning the heat down a little. Beware of overheating as the lighter ones will warp more quickly than the Lodge; as well as them being more susceptible to temperature shock.

Hilditch

Ty and Hilditch, thanks for your responses. I'm looking forward to learning about these skillets, through use. Hopefully, this will help me from having an "oops"!

Steve

Back