Cast Iron for Self Defense !!??

RickC

So, on Friday I gave away a few pieces of modern iron away to a few friends at work who had expressed interest in cooking in cast iron. One friend got a 5SK Lodge skillet, and the other got an Lodge 8SK skillet. These were pieces that I picked up along with other pieces I actually wanted. I cleaned them up and had all along planned on giving them away to someone. So I did.

The one friend expressed interest in a larger piece. So, on the way home I stopped into a thrift store I'd gotten lucky in before.

While walking from my car to the front entrance, a young guy was yelling something about ten dollars, and he seemed to be yelling at me. I just kept walking.

Once inside, Score!!! Found another modern Lodge, this time a 10SK. Perfect, large, cheap, and I don't really want it. But I know it's the size my friend is looking for.

I should point out that this thrift store is in by far one of the shadiest parts of town. Normal people don't go there during the day, I was there after dark just before closing.

Went up to pay, and the cashier asks if I want a bag. I joke that I might need it to get back to the car so no bag. The security guard by the front door, right next to the register looks over at me and says "You just might...."

Walked out, and on my way to the car, I see something I hadn't noticed before, a small 1-bedroom 0-bathroom cardboard house in the parking lot. As I walk by, the same guy comes climbing out, looks at me and starts yelling, "Are you dissing me, WTF? Are you dissing me?!!!" At this point, I hold up this skillet like I mean business and he stops yelling.

I walk to my car, get in and lock the doors. I doubt he'd have done anything, but having a giant hunk of iron between him made me feel a little safer. Thanks Lodge!!!:icon_thumbsup:

This one, my friend is going to pay for. I don't risk my life for free. :)

Lodge_10SK.jpg

RickC, I am glad that wasn't a thrift store in my town because chances are I would end up spending 8-12 hours sitting with that guy down in the ER. My boss says if I wack them with a pan I can't have my paycheck. She is funny like that.

Bonnie, Max, Kevin. Thanks for the laughs. I was ready to beat the stuffing out of this guy with the skillet. Never thought I'd succumb to the old "hit him with a cast iron skillet" cliche. But It happened...

Went to the Marshall's a couple days later, and they had Lodge factory seconds there (Orange label). They had a No.10SK skillet there for $12.99, almost exactly what I paid for the crusty one seen above. I bought it and gave it to him so he didn't have to wait for the other to come out of the lye and me to clean it up. I'll give the other one away as soon as I've cleaned it up. The only flaw I could find on the "Factory Second" was a bit of the seasoning pooled by the handle, making it darker than the rest of the seasoning. No warts, no flea bites, no pits, etc. It was ready to go.

Back