Unknown Deep Skillet with Lid

I'll say BSR early '50's. After automation (small ears) but before Century so this was still BSR Red Mountain.

Hilditch

bsr red mountain. the dimples are a easy identifier. red mountain dimples have no pattern as century dimples do.

I need ear help. One BSR is #7 Red Mtn. Other BSR is #7 (8B) Century (Made in USA). They are almost apples to apples but one is a chicken fryer and the other a skillet. OD on the fryer is 7/16 larger than the skillet. Ruler one went from the ear break to ear break on the outside circumference. Ruler two at a right angle to outside of ear.

The ears extended in length for 55 mm along both and protruded 7 mm on both.

What visual clue should I be looking for? Are there 2 mm or less differences from RM to Century after automation? Thanks.

Hilditch

The bottom one is automation produced. Note the sharp angles and dead flatness of the top edge. The top one inconclusive; crud and rulers obscure too much. Red Mountain "style" markings appear to have persisted for some time into the Century series period and early automation.

After a closer zoom in on the skillet in the OP, I'd also place it early BSR automation. The lid is Red Mountain hand cast.

Later Century-marked, automation-cast #8 BSR chicken fryers had smaller spouts that hardly protruded at all:

bsr_before_after.jpg

OK, I’ll put the Red Mountain in the early automation slot as I remember pics of other RM’s that looked like they had larger ears. There is a significant difference in the machining between the two which can be a good visual clue for progress(?).

Thank you,
Hilditch

Back