Eye Candy Thank You Steve Stephens

Jeffrey R.

On the Hunt for more Eye Candy. I had seen this post by Steve Stephens awhile back and have had my eye open for them since. Here are two of my latest. The first one is one that Steve Stephens has in his post

early%25252C9%25252Cskillet_1584.jpg

early%25252C9%25252Cskillet_1583.jpg

early%25252C9%25252Cskillet_1585.jpg

Steve Stephens Post; http://earlyskillets.blogspot.com/2013/11/an-introduction-to-early-american-cast.html

Just another early single pour spout skillet.

early%25252C9%25252Cskillet_1586.jpg

early%25252C9%25252Cskillet_1587.jpg

I will post later my history with the first skillet later.
Enjoy.

Oh, I *want* I *want*!! That first one, in particular!

Is he the one that has a blog showing a large collection of those Victorian skillets? I remember seeing that post, but haven't been able to find it again.

[/COLOR]
Oh, I *want* I *want*!! That first one, in particular!

Is he the one that has a blog showing a large collection of those Victorian skillets? I remember seeing that post, but haven't been able to find it again.

Yes, he is I have a link to his blog in my post above. I have had it in my bookmarks for over a year for inspiration. I wish that he had kept it going, as I enjoy the early pieces. Some of them are just so thin. The quality seams to be lost forever, sad.

A little history. I pick a lot of places in a years time and do return if they have nice pieces. So there is this one antique shop on central VT that is owned by a very nice older lady, and her son runs it on her days off. She has had the shop for a good many years. The first time I went there was 2 years ago. It is so packed that you only have little paths to get around. Now I am not complaining here, I live for shops like this. I have no problem staying in a shop like this for hours. I will find what is hiding out of sight. Well, the first time being there, boy did I find some spider webs and heavy dust, oh and the iron also. Now for those of you that are new to cast iron, the values for cast iron was higher in the 1990s but took a nose dive. The prices that this lady had on her cast iron and also the faded price tags led me to believe that they were in her shop for a very long time hidden. On the first trip to her shop I did find the first skillet in my post, but you could not make out the fancy handle as this skillet had layers of crud, and the bottom has a bow. So I put it back where I found it hiding out of sight. On my second trip the skillet is still there hiding out of sight. At some point after I see Steve Stephens blog and get thinking about that skillet. So on 10/16 I became the new owner of the skillet, because it was still hiding out of sight. Some things are meant to be.

In reading Steve Stephens blog he states, "Many are cast with a bottom that bows downward to some degree, sometimes below the deep heat rim" If you look at his blog, second photo down. Look at the set of skillets on the left, that is the set I have to work on. Well I will look for all of them.:eek:

Jeffrey, I read that comment by Steve about these skillets being cast with a bow. I could see how it wouldn't matter if you were using it on a wood stove eye. I wonder if there are others that we have walked away from that were not warped but cast that way? :icon_scratchchin:

Jeffrey, I read that comment by Steve about these skillets being cast with a bow. I could see how it wouldn't matter if you were using it on a wood stove eye. I wonder if there are others that we have walked away from that were not warped but cast that way? :icon_scratchchin:

That is what made me go back and pick up this one. But the question is just how many people know about the bow from the foundry, and have walked away from a nice piece. I had a scotch bowl that had a factory bow well below the heat ring. You could see were years of cooking in the eye of the old wood stove had left a wear mark above the heat ring where it sat down into the eye.

Nice job Jeffrey. I think both of those may have been made before you were born. :p

Hopefully I'll be digging through a shed full of iron this weekend. Will be keeping an eye out for pieces like yours! :icon_thumbsup:

Nice job Jeffrey. I think both of those may have been made before you were born. :p

Hopefully I'll be digging through a shed full of iron this weekend. Will be keeping an eye out for pieces like yours! :icon_thumbsup:

If you find any, send them to me to evaluate. You can trust me... :chuckle:

Back