Steaks in Russells Patent broiler

Shawn R

I finally got to use our Russells broiler. It's been raining for a week so I couldn't use the fire pit, did them over charcoal instead. Turned out great.
Russells%20Patent%20broiler..jpg

cast%20iron%20001_4.jpg

Go ahead and rub it in. Still a nice score. The meat looks red. Break off the horns flip once.:icon_thumbsup:

Thanks Jeffrey. It looks red raw but it is actually a near perfect medium rare. I guess the red color is from cooking at the high heat over the charcoal.

My wife posted a picture on one of her cooking sites. Guy was asking about the broiler and said he was going to try and find one. I told her to let him make an offer, everything is for sale for enough money. She nearly knocked me off the sofa.

Thanks Jeffrey. It looks red raw but it is actually a near perfect medium rare. I guess the red color is from cooking at the high heat over the charcoal.

My wife posted a picture on one of her cooking sites. Guy was asking about the broiler and said he was going to try and find one. I told her to let him make an offer, everything is for sale for enough money. She nearly knocked me off the sofa.

Sounds like she likes her new kitchen tool. Men can not have all the good tools, well maybe just more of them. :icon_rofl:

What is that thing, anyway? I assume you get it good and hot first, then put the steak under it to get grill marks? Do you flip the steak or does that carry enough heat to cook that side?

What is that thing, anyway? I assume you get it good and hot first, then put the steak under it to get grill marks? Do you flip the steak or does that carry enough heat to cook that side?
It's a hinged broiler. It opens like a clam shell. I put it over the mound of charcoal for a few minutes, opened it up and tossed the steaks in. The steak was sizzling when it hit the broiler. I spread out the coals and put the grill grate back on, then placed the broiler on the grate. It's from the late 1800's (Patent April 9 1867)and made to cook steaks over the eye of old wood stoves. Since I don't have a wood stove and it was raining and couldn't have a fire pit going, I used my grill.

cast%20iron%20011_2.jpg

And not just steaks. Most broiling was done from the bottom then, not the top like today. However, some broiling/browning effect could still be had in the oven by putting a dish close to the top and stoking up the fire while closing the air flow to the bottom of the oven. Better for casseroles.

Hilditch

If you wanted one, you could make a cover out of an old cake pan in minutes. They were made in various sizes. A new aluminum one, properly seasoned might even work.

Hilditch

Back