BSR Ashtrays?

RussTschopp

Local craigslist ad had 5 BSR "skillets for sale" they all have a groove on top of the handle, are they ashtrays? If so, what is the current value for an ashtray? Saw a Griswold ashtray yesterday, with the matchbook part at the top. Same question, what is it worth...?

Pic from craigslist

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 38
The Griswolds in good condition have collectible value. The ones with the matchbook holder were made in Erie by Griswold. There are repros to beware of, including ones without holders and aluminum recasts. The BSRs may have value to a BSR collector, but otherwise not so much. Relative to the genuine Griswolds, they're a bit crude.

http://www.castironcollector.com/fakes.php#grisashtrayfake

I'm still trying to figure out if these are right-side up or upside down. Keep looking. In any case, as a life long smoker, these are not ashtrays but skillets. I'll give you $10 + shipping for one.

Hilditch

The debate is usually over whether they're ashtrays or spoon rests. They're ashtrays.

The groove in the handle is on the top and functions as a cigarette rest. But don't take my word for it:

Attachments

• ashtray.jpg
    ashtray.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Doug, I saw a Gridwoold repo online, thanks to your post on this site, I was able to ID it as a fake due to no matchbook cover.

Hilditch, if I can get the pans, I'll message you about them if you still want one, we will work out the details.

Thanks again Doug for the information.

Back