Camp Stove

DougH

I picked this up over the weekend, and I'm pretty happy about the find. I'm calling it a camp stove, though I don't know if that's the proper name.

http://imgur.com/a/tU7K1

My understanding with these (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the recessed lid is designed to hold coals from the fire so you can get heat from above as well while you're cooking. I've also heard that the lid design allows them to be stacked over the fire if you have multiples of the same size.

It'll probably be awhile until I get to cleaning it. I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my e-tank set up right now...I'll probably need to set up a trash can or something to fit it. And I've got several other pieces I want to do before this one anyway.

Can anyone identify maker and age? I'm almost certain I've seen that handle shape sometime in the last couple months on this forum, but I don't remember who makes it. There are no marks on it that I have seen.

Thanks!

In looking for the handle shape that seemed familiar, I found what I was thinking of here under the Red Mountain series dutch oven lids.

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

However, that shape doesn't seem to match mine exactly, though it's similar. Also, the page goes on to say that the camp oven lids were completely different. So, I don't know. Does anyone have a guess on who made this and when? I'm not coming up with much, but would love to know more if it looks familiar to anyone.

There are things about yours that say BSR to me, and others that don't. I wonder if it's a marriage. Is the lid a good fit?

There are things about yours that say BSR to me, and others that don't. I wonder if it's a marriage. Is the lid a good fit?

Yeah, it seems to be a match to me. I'll look more closely this evening when I get home, but it does seem to be a good fit.

Are there any more pictures or details that might help? I probably won't have time to get them posted until tomorrow morning, but I can if it might help.

Thanks!

I gave it a good look last night, and the lid is definitely a tight fit...there is no slop or shifting when it's on. I still can't say if they were originally a match or not, but if they're not a match, then they are from two different sets with matching dimensions.

Maybe this one just remains a mystery, and I'll call it a "BSR?" :)

Like I said, it'll probably be a bit until I get this one cleaned up, but if I find any markings when I do get it restored, I'll share them.

Back