Son of a --------! Personal Holy Grail delivered, Cracked!

RickC

Trying to complete a set, my last buy of the year, been looking for this one for a long while. Gave specific instructions on how to pack, sent link to the WAGS how to pack cast iron page. Etc...

Pan shipped a week late, in flat rate box, with some paper. ARRRGH!!!!!!!!! :shootself:

If they would have said, "It will be an extra $10 to pack it better." I would have gladly paid. Box was in PERFECT condition,. I'm assuming something heavy got sat on top of it (Duh!) and pushed down on it hard enough to crack it. Cracks go all the way through.

??? Also, guess the brand ???

Cracks_02.jpg

Cracks_03.jpg

Cracks_04.jpg

Brand? You're not going to use the "B" word, are you? :)

Hard to believe that wasn't there before it was shipped. Would take a very special set of circumstances, IMO, for that to have occurred in shipment and not have any evidence of impact on the shipping carton. Consider instead pointing sellers to http://www.castironcollector.com/selling.php#packing which, besides the other tips for sellers of vintage cast iron, is a much more concise read and includes an advisory against using flat rate priority boxes.

Thank you Doug, I won't use the "B" word... I'm just pretty steamed..

Didn't see the Packaging page, will use that one from now on, but apparently this person didn't read it anyway..

Photo from auction page..
Crack_05.jpg

The photo from the original auction is not revealing as to the ultimate damage. So, again, hard to say. I do think, however, that if I asked if there were any cracks, and the answer was "no" that, well...

And what is that patent date on the underside of the handle?

Date matches the Barton Sperry patent.

SSsssshhhh.... Don't tell anyone!

But I am now looking for another Sperry No. 8 skillet... :redface:

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I'm sorry Doug for almost cursing on your forums. This kind of thing just REALLY makes me mad. Here's an item that is of VERY limited supply, I've been looking for one for a long time, finally I find one, and someone can't follow directions to pack and ship it without damage.

This is something that is no longer being made, and is now minus 1.

My count so far.

Mi-Pet skillet No. 8 (Fully marked) Broken off handle
Chicago Hardware Foundry (Favorite) No. 8 Cracked
Griswold No. 10 Large Block logo/Heat ring Cracked
Wagner Ware Sidney 1061A No.11 Cracked
Sperry No.8 Skillet Cracked

These are pieces that will now never be passed down, never sold, and now, scrapped. I may be over thinking this, but seeing anything that's now so limited, being broken by poor shipping seems like a giant waste.

Again, sorry for venting so loudly, but I know a few here, including you, know the feeling. :-|

RickC, I see that you have two collections going at the same time, Nice. I have 2 that we can add to your smaller collection. :biggrin:

Doug beat me to it, as I was going to say Sperry also, early bird gets the worm.

I hope that you had more insurance that the Flat Rate $50.00

Just think if you had you're Holy Grail, you might stop hunting. At least you still keep hunting, no diet plan.:icon_thumbsup:

Back