Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 PM

Default Favorite Smiley 10 W/lid

Seller says no wobble,spin, or cracks. Pics look good. The lid looks Favorite to me by the basting dropper patterns and itís also marked 10 with pour spout ears. Is this setup worth $100? Couldnít find any sold listings on eBay for 10ís, and BB lists a 10 at $75 with no lid. Iím interested but donít want to overpay just because Iím a sucker for favorite smileys

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------[/SIZE]

https://imgur.com/a/7JNPl
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Favorite Smiley 10 W/lid

Looks like a match. BB prices these days are useful for what's more rare relative to what, but not really as a price reference. $100 with lid doesn't seem outrageous if no damage or defect. Are they considering offers?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Not sure, it is a bit of a drive for me, however sellermoffered to meet me part way making the drive about an hour one way for me, but it will also put me right into an area Iíve been wanting to search for Iron for a while, Iím thinking of offering less, but kinda hesitant since he would be driving 30-40 minutes one way to deliver

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Price is firm, says it has very slight wobble that can be corrected with folded piece of paper, still worth it? I know anything over #8ís usually have some sort of slight movement
Old 12-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Site Admin

If $100 is the price and I really wanted it, I'd have to be satisfied the wobble is indeed that minimal (as in paper folded how many times?) and that I could confirm no cracks.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Ok, Iíd really like to have it, lid is a bonus, not sure I want to spend that much on something that has the slight wobble unless Iím not gonna find better in that size, I was about set to get it but now After your response Iím having doubts
Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Site Admin

Depends on why it wobbles. It has outside heat ring, so the question is what is the nature of the wobble? Is it a belly warp the heat ring can't overcome or the heat ring itself? The latter would seem to be just a slight imperfection falling within manufacturing tolerance. Won't know until you inspect in person.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:44 PM

The matching lid, in the right place, is close to a 100 dollar bill. I let a Franklin go in a heart beat.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
The matching lid, in the right place, is close to a 100 dollar bill. I let a Franklin go in a heart beat.
that's kind of what I was thinking... I have 5,7,8,9 and 10 favorite smileys and 9 lid and the 8 1/2 chicken fryer with lid and a #8 dutch oven with lid... I'm pretty sure I've never even seen a 10 lid. I got my 10 at an auction (they were mostly griswold collectors at the auction so I got the 10 favorite for $25) but I've seen them sell for close to $100 on ebay... throw in the lid and I'd say it's easily worth $100.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the input guys, Iíll see what I can do