Cracked CI, what do you do?

Hey All:
I hope all is well!!

I guess that I could say that I've been lucky up to now as this is the first time this has happened to me; but just this weekend I pulled a piece of CI that I have been soaking and under all of that crud and rust- you guessed it- a hairline crack; which made me think :eek: what do I do with this now?

Thinking of just hanging it in my garage for posterity- but wanted to see what others do when they find a crack or other major damage in their iron,

:covri:

Thanks,
-J

I either hang to look at ... if it's rare enough or pretty enough, or I sell as is for whatever I can get ... which is generally quite a bit less than I paid. :cry:

First I cry.... Then I have a couple beers.

The cracked ones go in an ever growing stack of cracked ones. Once a year I bring them out, lay them out in a circle around myself as I sit in the middle Indian style, naked. I light some sage, and I pray to the CI gods that it was all a just a dream. I open my eyes and look around and I still spy with my little eye, CrAcKs!!!! Arrrrgh!!!! :redface:

Probably in the minority, but if the crack is hairline and just in the sidewall between 10 and 2 opposite the handle I just season up and use. My campfire skillet has a crack in it. No big deal. Wouldn't pan fry in it, but I pan fry like once a year and prefer a Dutch oven for it anyway.

Back