Cleaning with a Vinegar Bath

Scott.L

Had a vendor bring me a couple of cornstick CI pieces today, both were nicely made but she had soaked them for several several several days in a vinegar bath. Both pieces have the surface texture of a cinder block even after cleaning with the E tank and scrubbed them by hand. The seasoning looks dull, dry and grey black after 2 rounds of oiling/heating. Is it possible for vinegar to make CI unseasonable ? My phone is dead so i will post a few pics tomorrow.:-?

Had a vendor bring me a couple of cornstick CI pieces today, both were nicely made but she had soaked them for several several several days in a vinegar bath. Both pieces have the surface texture of a cinder block even after cleaning with the E tank and scrubbed them by hand. The seasoning looks dull, dry and grey black after 2 rounds of oiling/heating. Is it possible for vinegar to make CI unseasonable ? My phone is dead so i will post a few pics tomorrow.:-?

Yes, long vinegar baths begin to degrade the iron. Leave it long enough and it will dissolve all together.

Let it soak on oil,over night and then season it,it may take longer time on the oven,the vinegar made porous the iron

Thank you for the replies, I do believe it actually stared to dissolve the metal as the surface texture feels unlike any cast iron i have ever held lol. EdgarLopez do i need to strip back off the layers of seasoning i have already tried to do ? They have 1 full round of crisco and the oven, also any recommendations on type of oil to soak them in?

thank you
Scott

I use canola for cooking,I had that issue with a Bsr chicken fryer and a little Wagner pot,I filled them up let it sit over night and the next day I put those on stove top for 30 minutes and apply oil outside while heating up,is not going to be easy with corn stick pans,if you have a gas grill,heat them apply oil and turn it up side down and apply oil and keep turning and applying oil,is what I would do with those pans.

Back