Vollrath DO

Bonnie Scott

I found a Vollrath #8 DO this morning at an estate sale for $30.
It's the first piece I have even found that has the matching lid. It's fully marked and I can hardly wait until it's done with it's bath so I can show it off. I had to have the lady at the estate sale hide it for me so I could run to the bank for more cash. :biggrin:

I finally got this DO out of the lye bath this morning. I haven't seasoned it yet but it's looking good so far.
http://i.imgur.com/hYdRJFM.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

I see in the section about Vollrath that manufacturing ceased in 1960 so I know the DO is older than that. Is there a way to narrow the date of this DO even further?

Hello Bonnie

In the "Red Book" (The Book of Wagner & Griswold by Schiffer Publishing) there's a section devoted to Vollrath, as well as Martin, Lodge and Excelsior.

I see your DO on page 244, except this one has a "45" in place of your "No. 8". The catalog gives a value of $65 and that it was made 1930s to 1950s. I'm wondering if, by the style of the No 8, yours would be in the earlier period. The book also makes note of the off-set bail attachment.

Great looking oven, but now will your Holy Grail be to find the trivet that matches? Does it ever end?

Nice score Bonnie.

Search Ebay under sold listings to get an idea on a value. Just maybe they are so rare, one has not come to market for sometime??

The Hunt Must Go ON, if you have iron in your blood you live for it.

I think I am going to hold on to this one for a while. I am going to sell the Wagner and the BSR DO's and keep this one for me. It already found a home in my kitchen cabinets.

I tend to error on the side of selling things rather than keeping them if I am unsure. Though I sort of regret selling the Le Crueset lasagna pan I just shipped out.
As such my personal cast iron collection only consists of a 3, 5,6,7,8,9,10,12, a muffin pan, and a square skillet I could probably live without. Oh yeah, and those cornstick pans I never use... I guess it's time to sell them too.

Hmmmm...no number 4..is that deliberate, Benjamin? What kind is your personal stash, or is it mixed? Just curious.

(Just put a small logo Griswold 4 in the lye tank. Super huge mess, I couldn't even see the logo until I scrubbed it for a while.

Nice DO Bonnie. My wife and I grew up in Vollrath country and are going back there next month for a wedding. I guess that I'll have to do some serious hunting while I'm there.

Hmmmm...no number 4..is that deliberate, Benjamin? What kind is your personal stash, or is it mixed? Just curious.

Sadly, I have never found a number 4. The first one I find will have to join my kitchen right away!
I have been meaning to photograph my personal arsenal of pans and starting a show and tell of thread of user irons. The girlfriend leaves for Hawaii tomorrow so I may have a chance to get those pictures taken sooner than later. :mrgreen:
My collection is mixed and I like it that way, since I can't justify multiples of each size I keep different brands and vintages for their varied thickness and beauty.

Sadly, I have never found a number 4. The first one I find will have to join my kitchen right away!
I have been meaning to photograph my personal arsenal of pans and starting a show and tell of thread of user irons. The girlfriend leaves for Hawaii tomorrow so I may have a chance to get those pictures taken sooner than later. :mrgreen:
My collection is mixed and I like it that way, since I can't justify multiples of each size I keep different brands and vintages for their varied thickness and beauty.

I had three #4's in my hands last weekend at the flea market. All three were $45-50, and I couldn't pull the trigger on any of them. If someone tells me they're worth that since they're rare, then I'll kick myself once and remember it for the future...but it seemed too much in my head. IIRC, two were Gris, and one was a Vollrath. All were pretty clean.

I had three #4's in my hands last weekend at the flea market. All three were $45-50, and I couldn't pull the trigger on any of them. If someone tells me they're worth that since they're rare, then I'll kick myself once and remember it for the future...but it seemed too much in my head. IIRC, two were Gris, and one was a Vollrath. All were pretty clean.
If all clean and able to be determined otherwise undamaged, the two Griswold, if LBL or slant Erie, are easily worth that, and with no shipping cost or risk of damage in shipment. And, even though that price range is about right, you might have been able to negotiate a better price, something also not possible with eBay.

Back