Deep Skillet vs. Chicken Fryer?

DLipscomb

Could someone please explain any difference(s) between a "deep skillet" and a "chicken fryer"? I've read many different conversations that seem to use the words interchangeably. Also, does the brand of iron have any bearing in the terminology?

Thanks to all for your help!
Donna

Although the terms are typically used interchangeably, I suppose one could say the difference would be a deep skillet having pour spouts that a chicken fryer would not. There don't seem to be all that many without pour spouts, though.

BSR - #7 skillet outside height 2”. #7 chicken fryer with pour spouts 3”. I think you will find variances between sizes, manufacturers, labels and individual interpretations. If I found a #7 BSR that was 2 1/2” in height I’d call it a deep skillet. To the person who has never fried chicken anything over 2” would qualify for a deep skillet until it became a kettle or a Dutch oven (4”).

Hilditch

My 14 SK has 2 1/2” sides but it is proportionate to a normal skillet, not deep.

Based on the above, does anyone out there have a deep skillet (sloped sides, not vertical) in a size #7 or 8?

Hilditch

Back