"Odorless Skillet"

H. Christie

I ran across an "Odorless" marked skillet at an antique shop the other day. Pattern #869. Tag said made by Griswold and sure enough the book says it' is so. It was a pretty elaborate casting with a perimeter of openings. I would have described it as a griddle. It was in very good shape and they were asking $75. Fair price? Unusual, rare,hard to find? Thanks

I don't have my RB with me, but would offer these thoughts. First, it would have to be something I wanted to add to my collection. It would hopefully be in good condition, with no damage, and preferably already cleaned so I might better determine that. Even if I had a book reference value, I would still check to see what the item has sold for, if any have recently actually sold, on eBay (smartphone app is great for this). While it is true you don't see many of them, sometimes scarcity does not equate to high value. If none are to be found among completed listings, and it's in good enough condition that I think it's worth considering, I try to start at half book value, going higher if I think I'm unlikely to come across one again.

Back