Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Default Pam for Seasoning

Can I use Pam to reseasoning cast iron skillets?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2019, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Pam for Seasoning

I wouldn't recommend it for initial seasonings because of the ingredients in it, silicone for one. Use Crisco or a 100% natural oil for your initial seasoning. I have used Pam for seasoning corn pone pans and the like since it is harder to do the 2nd or 3rd seasonings in all of the cracks and crevices.

I use Crisco and a basting brush or liquid oil for my initial seasonings for those type of pans.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:55 PM

Since dimethyl silicone is an additive not found in ordinary cooking oil I avoid using it for initial seasoning. You can always get a refillable spray bottle or pump action bottle that accomplishes the same thing using 100% canola oil.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:42 AM
Site Admin

It does work as an initial manual seasoning, and there are those who swear by it. Whether you want to try it depends on your opinion(s) re: dimethyl silicone (the anti-foaming agent), palm oil (perhaps of environmental concern; also coincidentally found in Crisco these days), or even soy lecithin (who knows why?). Some report using alternative brand cooking oil sprays (like Walmart Great Value, soy based, think Lodge Logic, no dimethyl silicone) which don't contain the (potentially) offensive ingredients as being a good choice. Or just use canola oil, which is essentially PAM without the extra baggage.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM

I have never used it for the first seasoning, but i put a VERY thin coat on of PAM on my CI. It helps to protect it, I think, and shines them up at the same time. I probably woulnt do that on a piece thats not used regularly.