Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 10-09-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Seasoning Got Brown

Hello,

I'm pretty new to restoring and seasoning old cast iron. The first two skillets I restored, a Wagner & Iron Mountain, turned a beautiful black color after the below seasoning method. I just recently found a BSR & Lodge, which using the same seasoning method turned brown. Any idea why? I included a picture of the Iron Mountain & BSR to show the difference.

*Seasoning Method*

Preheat skillet in electric oven at 200 degrees. Rub down with Crisco, then rub off. Place in oven for 15 minutes at 300 degrees then rub off any pooling Crisco. Then put back in oven at 400 degrees for 2 hours. This process was done 3 times.

Thanks,

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cast Iron.jpg (74.5 KB, 83 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Seasoning Got Brown

The color of that Lodge skillet is about the same color that I get when I re-season newer Lodge pieces that have been pre-seasoned. I am sure that it will darken with time. Mine have.

Bruce
Old 10-09-2015, 04:29 PM

One baking at 400 will brown one coat of Crisco. Two coats of Crisco is enough. Put the pans back in at 400 or better 450 without any new Crisco and they will now come out black.

Hilditch
Old 10-09-2015, 04:30 PM

I've got a couple of pieces that have come out bronze-ish that were done using the same technique as others that have come out quite black. I don't know if there was a little flash rust and didn't darken, or if the iron used was somewhat different... perhaps less carbon content?
Old 10-10-2015, 10:09 AM

My gem pans did the same thing. But I followed the technique followed on the website. I didn't put any crisco on until it was at the 450 mark. Wiped it all off, and back in at 500 for 15 minutes. A couple of times doing that and I have a beautiful sheen to them. Baking my banana nut gems helped quite a lot! I've learned that cooking really is the key.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 AM

I find baking really helps darken the seasoning... Many recommend bacon as a starter, I always find it makes more of a mess.

Cornbread or fresh bread in newly seasoned skillets or DO's.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the responses. I tired just throwing them in the oven at 450 for a while but it didn't change the color. I'll just have to cook in them!

Thanks for all of the responses.

-Adam
Old 10-11-2015, 12:02 PM

If it was an actual 450, I fear just not long enough. It will burn. That's the rule.

Hilditch
Old 10-11-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I find baking really helps darken the seasoning... Many recommend bacon as a starter, I always find it makes more of a mess.

Cornbread or fresh bread in newly seasoned skillets or DO's.
Bread is an excellent starter. I also strongly suggest Alton Brown's Dutch Baby recipe if the skillet's big enough. You get to preheat the pan in the oven with a whole bunch of butter in it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for all of the responses. As a newer member of the forum and new cast iron user/collector, I really appreciate all of the help.

Hilditch - I tired baking the BSR in the oven at 450 for 8 hours. It didn't change a single shade. Still brown...out of frustration I decided to hose it down in oven cleaner and start over. This time I used the seasoning method outlined on this website to no avail. Still brown...

Guess its the pan. I'm going to try cooking in it relentlessly until it turns black. I can't stand the brown!

-Adam