Newbie Help With Dutch Oven Identification

Troy B

Everyone, Newbie from Arkansas here. Over the last few months I've gotten interested in cast iron cookware after receiving a couple of skillets from family members. So far I've learned a great deal from this site. Last week I was given a hammered dutch oven (at least I think that's what it is). It is missing the bail but it seems to be intact. The bottom has I think a gate mark which I thought generally meant it was made in the late 1800's or early 1900's. But it is hammered and I though the hammered finish didn't catch on till later. The lid has the number 8 on it but the inside surface just doesn't look right. The outside of the lid has 2 "dots" near the lifting handle. The underside of the ears where the bail would attach has what appears to be flat head screws on them and the "other ear" has the number 2 on the bottom side. Overall this piece appears "rough" and pitted and the finish is poor. Can anyone give me any information about this piece or perhaps explain some of the things I've described? I can post more pictures if needed. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_4121.jpg
    IMG_4121.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 41
There is a general style that is referred to as 'ugly hammered'... kind of big cludgly looking hammered finish, rather than the tight, small, consistent looking hammered finish. obviously yours is in the 'ugly' category. I agree with your analysis of the lid... doesn't look right to me either... maybe a bad recast?

These are thought to have been some maker's quick and dirty way to ride the wave of popularity of hammered CI back in the 30s or 40s. The undersides of lids are typically like that, although sometimes not that bad. These aren't usually seen bottom gated; it may just be a sag or sand shift.

Thanks for help guys. That is not built up gunk on the inside of the lid. That is just the way it is. Any thoughts on how old it is? I appreciate your help.

Back