Is this BSR?

Kyle S.

The handle made me think so, but the heat ring is really thin. It is marked 3 _ S with an H below it. I have a strange feeling it is Chinese. I took the risk for 2 bucks. Let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 55
I thought so, but any idea on when it was made based on the markings? I looked on the site and did not see any pics that matched.

Hard to say. I think, based on the size of the ears, it's a Red Mountain series before they went to the automated method of making their CI. That would put it about 1930 to 1967 or so. I'm not sure when the "S" series of skillets were made, but they were smaller than their normal sized skillets. In other words, if that is a genuine 3S, it would be smaller than their 3.

Good catch on the S; at first glance I was thinking it was a pattern identifier but no, it's the smaller S series. Those apparently were only Red Mountain, were not made after the name brand (but pre-automation) switch to Century. So that narrows it down slightly, 1930s - 1957.

It also means it's a more rare example, as S series don't turn up nearly as often.

Back