Greetings from St. Louis

WendyH

I stumbled on this forum after getting my first CI pan today! I got it at a little antique mall near me for $15. It has no maker name, just "8R" on the bottom and a heat ring. Despite not knowing if it was a good pan due to the lack of a maker's mark, I bought it because it is SO well seasoned - very smooth, jet black...really beautiful. I washed it with a little soap and water first, since who knows where it came from, then wiped it dry and put it on a low burner to completely dry, as instructed here :)

I've already cooked my first things.... fresh brussels sprouts and marinated chicken breasts. I cooked the sprouts first, took them out of the pan and then did the chicken. :tasty: As I was cooking, I couldn't help but wonder who had owned the pan before me, and how many wonderful meals were cooked in it.

The main reason I went looking for a cast iron pan is that I like grilled food but don't like to fire up the grill... it's messy and takes too long. I really want one of the pans with the raised fins to get the grill marks and see how it compares. I love me a good steak too!

By the way, I loved the Before and After post by Dave Brill - it's astounding how these pans can be easily and beautifully restored!

Brave are those who use an acquired pan without stripping it first. I think I may have only encountered a handful over the years that I might have considered using "as found". Unless your pan's design is that of a late 19th century skillet, odds are you have a Birmingham Stove & Range Co. "Century" series pan. You may be able to confirm this here: http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

I often cook "one pan" meals using a #8 or #10 skillet. Preheat pan in oven, sear meat over direct heat, add seasoned veggies, and finish in oven.

Thanks for the reply! I think my pan looks the most like a Red Mountain Series - what do you think??

152255175.jpg
152255176.jpg

Back