Greetings From Western Maryland

Sherry W

Typically, I collect vintage glassware, but am occasionally drawn to various other items if they seem unusual enough. Today, I came across a cast aluminum kettle with clear markings on the bottom and I thought that identifying it on-line would be relatively easy. It was, to a point, but I still have questions. I am hoping that perhaps one of the members here could offer some assistance. Here's what I've got: A 5 quart Wagner Ware Colonial Tea Kettle. The outside is in pretty good condition. Nothing you wouldn't expect from an item used in a kitchen from many years ago. No dents and any outer oxidation was cleaned up prior to purchase without full removal of the patina that gives these older pieces their interesting look. More oxidation and rust on the inside. From what I've been able to discern, it is the stylized logo in the high position which (I think) places the year of manufacturing anywhere between 1924 to 1935. The logo shares the fancy "W" on the Wagner Ware marking with "Sidney" underneath and "-O-" underneath of that. The mold number on the bottom at the 6 o'clock position is 117F. One additional marking is rather odd and is something I haven't seen reference to at all in my search: In the center enclosed inside of an oval in three lines is the following: Second -2- None. The first line is "Second", the second line is "-2-", and the third line is "None". This marking is upside down in relation to the other markings. The lid is the swivel type rather than the swing type, and the handle is wooden.

This is as complete a description as I can provide. I am interested in pinpointing the year of manufacture, an estimate of the worth of this item (condition considered), and my curiosity is definitely piqued regarding the "Second -2- None" puzzle. I enjoy a good mystery, but I'm ready for someone to give away "the ending".

Thanks in advance and happy hunting!

~Sherry W

Your tea kettle can be seen on pg. 66 of the Book of Wagner & Griswold (red book). The c/n of 117 makes it a 10 pt. The positioning of the stylized logo, as it is called, doesn't appear to correlate to year of manufacture as it might on skillets. The red book places this piece 1915-1920s. The RB catalog number listing also notes this c/n is for a piece with a "swing cover", so either there is some confusion as to terminology, or the RB contains an error (known to happen), or the piece is a variation not known to the authors of the RB. I have seen the "Second 2 None" mark before.

Doug--Thanks so much for such a prompt response and for the additional information. I will have to research the reference book you mentioned. When using the term "swivel" with regard to the lid, I meant that it slides open as opposed to flipping upward. It is a very interesting piece and we're really enjoying the challenge of trying to learn more about it. Kindest regards--Sherry

The red book actually shows the c/n 107 5 qt. kettle, and the c/n listing describes it as having an "automatic cover". As pictured, the 107 lid opens upward via a thumb tab, so "swing cover" must be analogous to "swivel". Both the 107 and 117 are listed on the same page of Wagner catalog #30, dated 1924, so they were both available at the same time. Dealer cost for either at the time was $7.90.

Wagner's 1915 catalog shows no catalog numbers in it for their pieces but the 1924 catalog does. It's my understanding that catalog numbers were introduced in 1924 and, if true, would mean that a piece cast with a cat. no. would date from 1924 or later.

Back