Snowmen ginger gems

SpurgeonH

Here are the snowmen I made for today's luncheon. The recipe said it would make 12. I only got six. Could have made seven, but I didn't think it was worth getting another pan dirty for one more.

I overfilled the cups a little, so maybe it would have been close to twelve if I had filled the the correct level. Also, maybe I should have added a little more milk. The batter seemed right, but it didn't fill in all of the features on the snowmen, so maybe a little thinner would have been better.

Looks good to me for a first attempt, Spurgeon. Did you figure out golden syrup? I know I'm being dumb (again!) but I wasn't familiar with it. I made the gems using honey and Maple syrup. Yours look delicious. That overfilling problem is one I fight with every time I make something in one of my gem pans. Hope I'll get it right some day! Practice makes perfect certainly refers to making these yummy baked goods.

Sharon, I couldn't find any golden syrup, and I forgot about the maple syrup part. I just used dark corn syrup. They were edible it were cold by the time we ate them. I'll do better next time.

Fresh, warm gems are 4 times as good as ones that have cooled and sat a while. Up there with the Krispy Kream donuts when the HOT sign comes on. Yup, thinner batter & less per gem. Maple, light corn, honey, and even sorghum syrup work. Dark molasses, corn or malt syrups can be bitter.

Hilditch

Spurgeon, looks like you enjoy spending time in the kitchen when time permits as much as the rest of here. I enjoy tackling something new and if I like it I'm happy to work at perfecting it. I'm still working on quite a few of them :grin:

Happy holidays all
Steve,

Back