griswold sundial

KevM

picked up a Griswold sun dial 357. cleaned up pretty good now I just have to decide what to do with it to keep it from rusting. was thinking of painting or powder coating it but I like to see the metal. if I season it like a pan I don't think it will last very long in the elements maybe rub them with boiled linseed oil now and then. any one else have any ideas?

Kevin M
I know powder coating isn't original but if you want to use it and be pretty much maintenance free, that is the ticket.

Jack

My grandfather kept his painted silver. He only left it out in the spring and summer so there was not a lot of wear & tear and I know he didn't have to paint it but every few years. If you just paint it, even with a clear coat, it can always easily be restored to original.

Hilditch

The BB calls for a blue/white porcelain finish. If you're trying to keep the color scheme as the original I would paint it as close to the color as possible and put an automotive clear coat on it. May even want to stop by your local body shop and see if there is a special clear coat they use since all new automobiles have a clear coat finish which last for years.
Nice piece and good luck with the finish....

Thanks for sharing, Kev! Always something new here in the forums; are we getting tired of hearing me say "I never saw one of those before"?:roll:

Back