Fingerprints in my skillet!

TimMcAleer

I just purchased a new pan, a Griswold large logo #8 slant . After cleaning in an e tank and just before the first seasoning I noticed what I thought was a casting flaw, in what otherwise is an almost perfect pan. It was a couple of slightly raised marks in the pan along the outside edge, raised about 1/32 of an inch in two spots, about the size of a finger tip, not like a normal casting flaw. When I was wiping off the first coat of oil, I thought I had left some fingerprints right where the flaw was. After wiping, I realized they were cast into the pan. I've never heard of this before. I am attaching one picture, only one because I can't figure out how to attach more. Has anyone ever seen this before? I have more pictures I would like to share.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 79
We all know that no one touched the molten iron, so the marks were left in the mold before the iron was poured. :icon_thumbsup:

I have what appears to be an older Lodge with that same thing.
upload_-1.jpg

I am wondering if any one has seen this before? It is very interesting . These are truly 100 year old prints! Plain to see. The sand used for the cast must have been extremely fine. Is this common or is this pan rare?

I restored an otherwise unremarkable Japanese Skillet with a prominent thumb print on the bottom. I would love to find a keeper with something as unique and interesting as a fingerprint.

This pan happens to be a beautiful pan . The print is very noticeable because this is the only flaw , the pan is almost perfect. I wish I could show it to more people it is very interesting!

Back