Cast Iron Collector Forums  

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > Cast Iron Collector Forums > Introductions


Introductions New Members Say Hello and Tell Us What Brought You Here

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Anton_P Anton_P is offline
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default Hello - New Here & Have a Question

Hello all,
I've been dabbling in cast iron for awhile and have a small assortment of Wagner and Griswold pans, but a recent purchase has left me with a question, which I hope someone here may be able to answer. You see, I purchased a new-old-stock Griswold 866 lamb cake mold. It came in the original box and included the instructional recipe pamphlet. After scrubbing it down with soap, rinsing, and towel-drying, I set it in the oven for more drying before bacon-grease seasoning. However, the kitchen was shortly flled with acrid fumes resembling somewhat the scent of melting crayons. So, I'm wondering whether this mold was originally coated with something (a rust inhibitor of some sort?) at the factory. Is this to be expected from a brand new vintage piece? What is it that is burning off? I'm including some photos to help with dating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2794.jpg (73.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2795.jpg (39.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2797.jpg (62.0 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Doug D. Doug D. is offline
Site Admin
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,028
Default Re: Hello - New Here & Have a Question

Probably a lacquer or wax not completely removed with the soap/water. A lye bath should do a better job, or the spray oven cleaner in a bag method absent that.

Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM
GTurner GTurner is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 760
Default Re: Hello - New Here & Have a Question

Definitely wax still on the cake mold.

Great find!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Anton_P Anton_P is offline
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default Re: Hello - New Here & Have a Question

Thank you for your replies. GTurner, do you know anything about the type of wax used? I'm inclined to think the substance paraffin based on the smell. I've read that paraffin combusts somewhere between 390 & 480 degrees, depending on its composition, so unless I learn something more, I think the mold will be going back in the oven. I hope to get around to the task tonight or tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 AM
Anton_P Anton_P is offline
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3
Default Re: Hello - New Here & Have a Question

More time in the oven (at 450) did the trick. The mold eventually stopped smoking, and afterward the surface felt more bare. There was some residual soot, but nothing that another washing couldn't take care of.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to or its affiliates.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.