Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Recipe File

Notices

Recipe File Share Your Favorite Cast Iron and Other Recipes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 PM
ShawnE ShawnE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Santa Cruz mountains, CA
Posts: 153
Default My baked beans recipe

For a #10 Do and a lot of people

2 Lbs great northern beans
3 Lbs bacon (I'm frugal, and use ends and cutoffs)
2 medium onions rough chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth
optional - 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (drained)
optional - 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choosing

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Enjoy

Last edited by ShawnE; 06-26-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 PM
RobM RobM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 357
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
For a #10 Do and a lot of people

2 Lbs great northern beans
3 Lbs bacon (I'm frugal, and use ends and cutoffs)
2 medium onions rough chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth
optional - 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (drained)
optional - 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choosing

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Enjoy
Yum. but enough beans to feed an army
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2015, 06:48 PM
ShawnE ShawnE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Santa Cruz mountains, CA
Posts: 153
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Yum. but enough beans to feed an army
Yep, but in the beginning I said:

For a #10 DO and a lot of people

Scale as necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:36 PM
RobM RobM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 357
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
Yep, but in the beginning I said:

For a #10 DO and a lot of people

Scale as necessary.
Think it's beans for supper tomorrow night, fresh loaf of bread in the dutch oven to complement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 PM
ShawnE ShawnE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Santa Cruz mountains, CA
Posts: 153
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Think it's beans for supper tomorrow night, fresh loaf of bread in the dutch oven to complement.
Fresh bread and beans, one of my favorites. Haven't bought bread in 15 Yrs, always make it. Simple if you have power tools.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 PM
EdgarLopez EdgarLopez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: houston
Posts: 347
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeño pepper chopped ( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Jeffrey R. Jeffrey R. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NEK, Vermont
Posts: 1,035
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
Yum. but enough beans to feed an army
RobM You can freeze the baked beans. I like to make a large batch each time and freeze some, very good cold or hot.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnE View Post
For a #10 Do and a lot of people

2 Lbs great northern beans
3 Lbs bacon (I'm frugal, and use ends and cutoffs)
2 medium onions rough chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth
optional - 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (drained)
optional - 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choosing

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Enjoy
The other baked bean recipe that I use is about the same as yours but I add.
Black Pepper, Dry Mustard, hit of Vinegar, and pinch of Ground Cloves.

You add Diced Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth, that I do not. Do not get me wrong as I like the idea of diced tomatoes. I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2015, 11:33 PM
RobM RobM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 357
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Next weekend is a big cook. Gf's kids birthday, request made for a large DO full of homemade chili, baked beans and home made bread.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2015, 10:32 AM
JMoss JMoss is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kemah,TX
Posts: 854
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarLopez View Post
When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeño pepper chopped ( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good,
How about posting that recipe Edgar? I love charro beans but don't have good recipe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2015, 12:14 PM
ShawnE ShawnE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Santa Cruz mountains, CA
Posts: 153
Default Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.
The pressure cooker technique is a good way to reduce the time to hydrate the beans. I also happen to prefer cooking the recipe for at least 8 Hrs. I believe that this this allows the flavors to develop more fully. I have used the bean water in the past for liquid, but I believe that the veg broth adds more flavor.

Just my $0.02
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Advertisement

This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn
advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or its affiliates.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.