Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 AM

Default What's your favorite user?

I'm curious to see if those of you with huge collections can narrow this down to a handful

My newbie collection is small, but the best piece I've come across so far is my #8 Iron Mountain. It makes breakfast every morning and the cooking surface is in almost perfect condition.

I have a WWSO handled griddle that I've got mostly cleaned up and just needs final touches and seasoning. The surface on it is so polished with perfect mill marks, I'm almost certain it's never been used. Can't wait to see how that one performs.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Re: What's your favorite user?

I only have a few dozen pieces, all users so far, and I cannot narrow it down to any particular favorite. I like them all but it often depends on what I'm cooking.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Site Admin

I was saying just last night (probably repeating myself), as I was drying my 1950s #10 Lodge skillet, that it was the best $10 I ever spent on a cast iron pan. A fine casting, not too heavy but heavy enough to be a good heat retainer, and a smooth-as-glass cooking surface. That one and my Grandma's #8 LBL Griswold, which was, of course, free. I also like to use a 1950s BSR chicken fryer as an impromptu wok.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM

I like the sound of that #10 Lodge. You might remember I was complaining a few weeks back about being unable to find any larger skillets. I finally ran across a #10 Lodge for $15 that I picked up, so you beat me on price . It appears to be a later 3-notch though, with a thicker casting and smaller pour spouts. It's been in the lye for almost two weeks now. I finally broke down and decided to put together an electro setup, and my battery charger just arrived in the mail an hour ago. Within a couple of days hopefully I have some nice after pictures. Here it is before:

Out of necessity it'll have to do as my "large" user until I can find something else. Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:36 PM

For me it is a #8 large block griswold and when I need something larger a #11 Erie.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

That's a simple question but I am not going to give a short answer. I think my favorite user changes over time as I rotate pans though my "favorite" one(s). Currently I am enjoying using my two Vose & Co. skillets made in Albany during the time period 1848-61 which is when that stove company was using that exact name although Samuel C. Vose was in business since 1845 under his own name. I have an 1853 catalog reprint of Vose stoves and no cookware is shown so I would think my skillets came after 1853 but no later than 1861. The first pan I got had the "V" missing and read OSE & Co. so it took me a while to figure out what the first letter of the name was. Eventually I got the second Vose skillet, the No.7, on ebay which showed me the full name that I had already found in some old stove industry info on the net. Only a few months ago did I dig out the "lost" No.9 Vose that I could not fine anywhere and started to use it. It has seasoned up beautifully with nothing but just cooking in it. The lost pan was buried in my piles of old skillets. These two pans make a wonderful pair.

I have a few other favorites: No.9 ERIE deep skillet with no pattern number. The casting quality and condition are exceptional.
A No.10 unmarked early skillet that came from a camp in Norway Maine via ebay. The seller got it from a family in Norway who said they have a photo of their grandfather cooking pancakes on the pan c.1891. I've never seen another like it.

The No.9 as in use cooking dinner last Monday-

And some more photos of the two pans. Although I have seen photos of one or two other Vose pots I have not seen another Vose skillet. These are nicely cast pans weighing 2-3/4 and 3-5/8 pounds.

Last edited by Steve Stephens; 03-19-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 PM

I see the limit is 4 photos so here come the rest that I tried to post. Still getting used to posting photos here.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Steve, those are fascinating. Thanks for sharing! I find myself drawn much more to pieces like that than I am to the usual foundries. I love the character and relative uniqueness. I haven't come across anything like that yet personally, but it keeps me excited to keep the hunt going.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 AM

98% of my pieces are WWSO. The 1053 is used for eggs almost every morning. Dinner probably winds up most often in Grandma's 1058, but there are often 2 or 3 pieces in use at the same time, depending on what I'm making.